Question Clean Install Windows 10, Cannot start after installation

Aug 1, 2019
I have an Acer Z3-715, 1 year and 1 month. When it was updating to Windows 10 1903 it got some errors. I tried the recovery but after the recovery it was very slow. So I decided to do a Clean install, and then I got the problem.

I followed the instructions on Microsoft official website, use the Microsoft official tool, create the USB installation Media from another Windows 10 machine I have. I ran the installer on the new machine and everything appears to go well up until it's time to restart. When the machine restarts, I get this message:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.
File: \\Windows\system32\config\system
Error code: 0xc0000185

There were some occasions of getting this error when a restart gave me a slightly different error: a BCD error.

I searched on the internet and so far I found two exactly same cases as mine.

On the post in Microsoft community below it seems the problem was resolved by restart the working PC before using it to create the installation media. it doesn't work for me. I even tried using DVD to install but still get the same problem. I doubt there would be some other actions which fixed his problem such as replacing HDD.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c0000185/90bad1bd-7fa5-45be-845a-d3c0b30d1e6e

On the Post in Acer community below, the problem is not fixed and no further update from the poster.

https://community.acer.com/en/discu...15-to-boot-from-usb-or-cd-dvd-with-windows-10

I tried a lot of ways but none of them work. The last thing I want to try is replacing the HDD. but I want to get some other proposals before trying that. I did run chkdsk and proved my HDD has no error.

Here I list all the way I tried. It is a very weird problem. How come a Clean install could get such problem? Hope someone could help find the root cause. it is also a good opportunity to learn and share. Thank you very much.

1) Restart working PC then use it re-create the install USB media with Microsoft official tool--------same result

2) Download ISO from Microsoft official site, Burn to DVD and use it to install--------same result

3) Download Windows 10 1803 ISO by Rufus, use Rufus to create Installation Media USB--------same result

4) Download Windows 10 1803 ISO by Rufus, Burn to DVD and use it to install--------same result

5) Try different USB drives to create the installer, then re-install--------same result

6) Running Automatic Repair---------it shows diagnosing, then eventually shows something like problem cannot be fixed.

7) System Restore / System Image recovery --------cannot do it. since this is a Clean install.

8) Before installation, Shift + F10 to open a Command Prompt, type the following commands followed by Enter key: DISKPART, LIST DISK, SEL DIS # (replace # with the disk # of the Windows disk from list in previous command) , CLEAN, EXIT. Then install--------same result

9) Disable Secure boot in BIOS, then boot from installation DVD to re-install--------same result

10) Reset BIOS to default setup, then boot from installation DVD to re-install--------same result

11) In the Command Prompt, run Chkdsk C: /f /r. it completed and no error found, re-install--------same result

12) In the Command Prompt, Run command bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /rebuildbcd, -------after last command, it shows "Total identified Windows installations: 0"

13) Use AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to Rebuild MBR, then re-install--------same result

14) Disconnect all peripherals (keyboard, mouse), re-install --------same result

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I realize that you've done a very thorough job already, but try using my instructions, particularly using the diskpart command to completely wipe your drive and reformat it prior to continuing the installation of Windows 10.

You should be using GPT format, not MBR. Your machine is from the "UEFI era" and would have used GPT when shipped, and should still use GPT now.

I used these instructions on July 29, so I do know they work if followed (under normal circumstances, which it's possible you may not have).

---------------------------------------
Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.
____

Important Reminder 2:
It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.
____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 29, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:

B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Because in instances like this it sometimes helps.

There are multiple approaches to this. It sounds like the OP has already tried others, so I'm simply presenting another approach.

Bringing up command prompt and running the sequence of diskpart commands that I suggest takes all of 2 minutes. It's also optional in most cases, but I'd definitely use it in this one based on what the OP has stated they've already tried.

I leave it to the OP to decide if he or she wishes to exercise this option or not.

There was no criticism stated or implied about other methods. I'm simply presenting the technique I have used, and have suggested using, for years now.

Aug 1, 2019
I realize that you've done a very thorough job already, but try using my instructions, particularly using the diskpart command to completely wipe your drive and reformat it prior to continuing the installation of Windows 10.

You should be using GPT format, not MBR. Your machine is from the "UEFI era" and would have used GPT when shipped, and should still use GPT now.

I used these instructions on July 29, so I do know they work if followed (under normal circumstances, which it's possible you may not have).

---------------------------------------
Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.
____

Important Reminder 2:

It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.
____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 29, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:
B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB

Thanks. I will check your file later and see if it works

D

Deleted member 14196

if none of this works, there must be a problem with the drive or the mobo.
can you test by booting and running linux off a usb drive? if it has no issues, then it's probably windows related

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
if none of this works, there must be a problem with the drive or the mobo.

Yep, which my gut is telling me might be the case here. (Hence my earlier parenthetical comment).

Your suggestion to try a live Linux distro from USB is an excellent diagnostic step. If there's some hardware basis to this it's virtually certain that Linux will crap out, too.