clean install Windows 7 not seeing hardrives

photofool1331

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I have a new build using a gigabyte 990FXA-HD3 mother board AMD FX processor and 2 WD 1tb drives in RAID-1. The bios is seeing the drives in RAID 1 configuration but every time that I try to load Window 7 it does not see the drives.
It does not give option to load additional drivers with F6 or anything else. Tried putting SATA drivers on USB drive to install but will not allow because no drive to insal them on to. Drives come up in Bios.

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
You need to install the drivers prior to installing Windows 7. On the screen where it says to select the HDD's, click load drivers in the bottom right. Use the drivers that came with the motherboard.

Sata drivers wont work. You need the RAID drivers.

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Can you give me your motherboard model number again? I am not familiar with the HD3 and I think you may have mistyped it.

Either way, after setting your BIOS to RAID 1, you need to configure and build your RAID array in the RAID BIOS. Once I get your model number I will give you more info.

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Turn on your computer and press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST. In BIOS Setup, go to
Integrated Peripherals and make sureeSATA3 Controller is enabled. To enable RAID, set eSATA3 Ctrl Mode to RAID. Save changes and exit BIOS Setup.

After the POST memory test begins and before the operating system boot begins, look for a message which
says "Press <Ctrl>+<M> to enter BIOS Setup or <Space> to continue". Press <Ctrl> + <M> to enter the RAID setup utility.

On the main screen, press <Enter> on the RAID tab. Then the RAID Config menu appears. Press <Enter> on the
Create VD item.

The next screen displays the two hard drives you installed. Press <Enter> or <Space> on the two
hard drives respectively to add them into the RAID array. Selected hard drives are marked with an asterisk. Then press <Enter> on NEXT.

On the Create VD menu, use the up or down arrow key to move the selection bar to select
an item and press <Enter> to display options. Set the required items in sequence and press the down arrow
key to proceed to the next item.

Sequence:
1. RAID Level: Select RAID 1.
2. Stripe Size: Select the stripe block size. Options include 32 KB, 64 KB, and 128 KB. (should be greyed out, if not, select 32)
3. Quick Init: Select whether to quickly erase old data on the hard drives when creating the array.
4. Cache Mode: Select write-back or write-through cache.
5. VD Name: Enter an array name with 1~10 letters (letters cannot be special characters).

NEXT: After completing the settings above, move to NEXT and press <Enter> to begin creating the array. When prompted to confirm, press <Y> to confirm.

To exit the RAID BIOS utility, press <Esc> on the main screen and press <Y> to confirm.
Now, you can proceed to install the operating system. When completed, the RAID tab will display the new array.

photofool1331

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Went through all the steps that you suggested.
Drive assignments
Port ID Drive Model Capabilities Capacity (GB) Assignment
02:01 WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 SATA 6G 1000.20
[S.M.A.R.T] Health
Extent 1 1000.13 LD 1-1
03:01 WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 SATA 6G 1000.20
[S.M.A.R.T.] Health
Extent 1 1000.13 LD 1-2
05:01 ATAPI DVD A DH16AGL <SATAPI>
06:01 ATAPI BD O DH4033 <SATAPI>

LD VIEW MENU
LD NO RAID MODE DRV CAPACITY (GB) STATUS
1 RAID 1 2 999.99 FUNCTIONAL

ADAPTER CONFIGURATION - OPTIONS
NO PARAMETERS DEFINED FOR CURRENT DISK
SYSTEM RESOURCES CONFIGURATION
CONTROLLER IRQ:11
AHCI HBA MMIO BASE ADDRESS: FE60B000

When trying to Install Windows 7 I get message

Load drivers
A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB Flash Drive, pleas insert it now.

CD with drivers on it in 05:01 listed above not reading.

USB with drivers on it connected and shows up to select drivers. When selected get message
No device drives found.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks for the help Micah

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Are you installing Windows for a USB or a CD?