Clean Install Windows 7 Professional From x86 to x64)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I just recently cleaned installed Windows 7 Professional x86 on my Dell Latitude E5400 which previously had Windows XP Professional SP3 on it (OEM, factory installed, was a downgrade option). The laptop however had a Windows 7 Pro OA COA sticker on it so I downloaded a clean Windows 7 Professional x86 iso, made a bootable usb drive for it, and installed the OS; installed/updated all drivers then activated the OS with the key I had (didn't even have to do phone activation). I wish to now switch to x64 as I found out that my laptop is able to be upgraded to 8 GB of ram and x86 only allows 4 GB. My question is, if I clean install x64 replacing x86 will my key still work? Will I run into any activation probelms? I have all my data on an external hard so whatever happens to my stuff on the C drive is cool, I can easily get back.

The ram used by the laptop is a little old (DDRII SDRAM 800 MHz) so is it even worth it to switch to x86 so I can upgrade the ram from 4 GB (currently) to 8GB in the future? I don't really game on PCs, the most extensive gaming I do is MapleStory and I will be getting Minecraft and maybe Torchlight 2 soon. I will be also using Sony Vegas 8 or higher and Photoshop CS3 or higher.

Finally I have Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 which came with the laptop. When I installed Win 7 I did have to reinstall from Office using backup media and then activate over the phone. If I switch to x64 will I be able to use the same key again or will I run to activation problems?

Thanks In Advance!

Solution
You can use the both of keys, because they comes with the laptop.

And you also can upgrade the RAM to 8GB, but the onboard GPU Intel® 4500MHD is not the good GPU for the CS3 ( I don't use the vegas8).

thegraves29

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Ok thanks, I will go ahead and clean install to x64. To be honest I think I would of done it eventually anyway because I'm just that type of person. The reason I want to switch is because I found out my E5400 is the best version you can get of it (excluding of course the XP Pro Downgrade OS). My laptop came with discrete video and not the UMA video option (discrete video is the only reason why the laptop can be upgraded to 8 GB). Discrete video is NVIDIA NB9M and not the Intel 4500MHD so I lucked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.