Clean install Windows 8 before Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Does it make sense for me to Secure Erase my SSD using Parted Magic, reinstall Windows 8, and then install Windows 10 when it comes out?

Or should I just wait to do that whole process when Windows 10 comes out next week?

Solution
A clean install means that all your data will be permanently wiped out on your primary storage drive when you install. If you're fine with this, then clean wipe. If not then don't.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Well I would like to start on a completely clean slate...that part doesnt really matter though...would it be worth doing a clean install now or should I wait until next week when Windows 10 is out?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Alright...are they going to send us a file for Windows 10 (I have a free upgrade for it) - something you can put on a Flash Drive or how exactly is it going to work?

The thing is...once I wipe my SSD I obviously can't boot up and download it online...I am going to need a disk or something on a flash drive to load it...that is why I am saying I may need to install Windows 8 first (since I have a disk for it) and then upgrade to windows 10 from there.

Well you may have to install Windows 8 first since I think it has to be installed for the upgrade. As long as its not enterprise. Since you cant upgrade from enterprise

Windows 10 so I've read you will be able to create an ISO with it after (you have to extract an ESD file) to create it

Then you can use something like rufus to extract it to a flash drive. Then you can boot from it

If you want to do a clean install of Win10

freeskier93

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Windows 10 has a "reset" feature that automatically performs a clean install without the need of installation media. Go through the W10 upgrade process then from Windows 10 under Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery you can start the reset process which will automatically wipe and reinstall Windows 10.

I believe this is a feature in W8 too, surprised more people don't know about it because it's very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.