[SOLVED] Clean install with removing existing active partition

Oct 21, 2019
I've got a new comp with an active (bootable) Windows partition on HDD and need to clean install Windows onto SSD only. I want my HDD to be a pure storage disk, with one 4TB partition.

What is the right sequence to install? Do I need to disconnect my HDD and why? And when? My friend tells me to start installation from USB only to delete all partitions, then disconnect HDD to avoid chances of improper installation, then install Windows 10 and connect the HDD again. What would you recommend?

Solution
Yes.
Disconnect the HDD
Install on the SSD
Later, reconnect the HDD and delete all partitions on it.

If you leave the HDD connected during an install on the SSD, it will simply ADD the SSD OS to the boot partition on the HDD.
Not what you want at all.

What size is the SSD?

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
I've got a new comp with an active (bootable) Windows partition on HDD and need to clean install Windows onto SSD only. I want my HDD to be a pure storage disk, with one 4TB partition.

What is the right sequence to install? Do I need to disconnect my HDD and why? And when? My friend tells me to start installation from USB only to delete all partitions, then disconnect HDD to avoid chances of improper installation, then install Windows 10 and connect the HDD again. What would you recommend?
Start windows installation from USB, when you get to the step to select partition to install DVD, you should have Disk0 and Disk 1. Disk1 may be the HDD and it may have multiple partitions whivh sums up to 4TB. Therefore, Disk0 will be the SSD. If tgis is the case and you dont want only 1 HDD partition, delete all partitions of Disk1(if it is the HDD) and then install windoes to Disk0.

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2019
Disk1 may be the HDD and it may have multiple partitions whivh sums up to 4TB. Therefore, Disk0 will be the SSD. If tgis is the case and you dont want only 1 HDD partition, delete all partitions of Disk1(if it is the HDD) and then install windows to Disk0.
Unfortunately, looks like my Disk0 is HDD, and that's why I have the problem: Windows was installed on the "default" drive. My friend tells me that I will have to disconnect my HDD to avoid such problem during Windows installation. Is he right?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.
Disconnect the HDD
Install on the SSD
Later, reconnect the HDD and delete all partitions on it.

If you leave the HDD connected during an install on the SSD, it will simply ADD the SSD OS to the boot partition on the HDD.
Not what you want at all.

What size is the SSD?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
OK.

You can either:
Have both drives connected
Start the install process
Delete ALL part tions on the HDD
Power off
Disconnect the HDD
restart and boot into the Win10 USB again
Install on the SSD
Reconnect the HDD later

or

Have the HDD disconnected
Install on the SSD
Reconnect the HDD later and delete all partitions on it

Either way, have ONLY the SSD connected when you do the actual install.

Oct 21, 2019
Start the install process
Delete ALL part tions on the HDD
Power off
Disconnect the HDD
restart and boot into the Win10 USB again
Install on the SSD
Reconnect the HDD later
Thanks a lot! My friend recommends exactly this, and I find it much more reliable than having two active partitions after installing Windows :disrelieved: Now I really know what I should do.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Thanks a lot! My friend recommends exactly this, and I find it much more reliable than having two active partitions after installing Windows :disrelieved: Now I really know what I should do.
If Disk0 is HDD, install Windows to Disk1 and before installing delete all Disk 0 partitions

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk