Question Clean installed Windows 11 and now my m.2 isn't recognized as a boot device

lomboses

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Hello! I had windows 11 installed as a n upgrade from windows 10 but was experiencing issues so I decided to do a clean install of the OS after wiping my drives. It booted just fine after install but now my m.2 is not being recognized as a boot device after restarting to install updates. I went into my UEFI settings and just left and it booted like nothing was wrong despite there not even being a boot device recognized by the system. Now the next day I cannot get it to boot at all or recognize my drive as a boot option. It recognizes that the m.2 is connected as I can see it in the settings. Any ideas?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello! I had windows 11 installed as a n upgrade from windows 10 but was experiencing issues so I decided to do a clean install of the OS after wiping my drives. It booted just fine after install but now my m.2 is not being recognized as a boot device after restarting to install updates. I went into my UEFI settings and just left and it booted like nothing was wrong despite there not even being a boot device recognized by the system. Now the next day I cannot get it to boot at all or recognize my drive as a boot option. It recognizes that the m.2 is connected as I can see it in the settings. Any ideas?
Was there more than one drive physically connected when you did this fresh OS install?

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

lomboses

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Was there more than one drive physically connected when you did this fresh OS install?

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
There were 3 drives connected to the system. Two SATA drives and an M.2 SSD. I completely wiped all drives then formatted the m.2 for windows installation, I confirmed windows was on the right drive using disk management too. I can't show a screencap because I can no longer get windows to boot

USAFRet

Titan
There were 3 drives connected to the system. Two SATA drives and an M.2 SSD. I completely wiped all drives then formatted the m.2 for windows installation, I confirmed windows was on the right drive using disk management too. I can't show a screencap because I can no longer get windows to boot
Quite likely the boot partition ended up on one of the other drives.

Since this is a very recent install, redo it.
This time, with only the M.2 drive connected.

See what happens.

Reactions: cAllen