Clean installing windows 10 how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

When it actually releases on July 29, you will hae the option to download an ISO file.
You use that ISO file to burn a DVD or USB stick.
You boot from that, and install, wiping out your current installation if you wish.

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I don't think Microsoft has announced exactly how this will work, but most people think there is a way to convert your Win7/8/8.1 key to a Win10 key, and then just download the Win10 .iso from MS, make a bootable DVD, and install it that way using the new/converted Win10 key.

USAFRet

Titan

When it actually releases on July 29, you will hae the option to download an ISO file.
You use that ISO file to burn a DVD or USB stick.
You boot from that, and install, wiping out your current installation if you wish.

Solution

TyRaNiDeX

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
If you do not want to do the Windows 10 update over a Windows 7/8/8.1,
When it will be available, you could donwload the Windows 10 ISO and activate it with your actual key ;)

Sorry for my english, but I'm french.
And i think i have problems with some verb here ^^

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
You will first have to to do the upgrade to Windows 10 either by update or ISO. Once you do the upgrade you will get a new Key as Windows 10 is reactivated. The ISO for clean install will be available for download. After downloaded you will enter the key you received with the upgrade. You can do a fresh install even after the year period of the free upgrade is over. But remember updates are continuous now and if you do a fresh install it will be doing updates for awhile since the ISO takes you back to the beginning of Windows 10.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

You have to do the upgrade first to get the key. Then you install over top.

USAFRet

Titan

Not necessarily. That exact procedure has not been outlined yet.

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008

Interesting, but not ideal as while going from 8.1 to 10 will probably be simple, going from 7 to 10 probably wont be as smooth. I have 2 Win7 PC's I want to get 10 on to, would prefer to wipe(reformat) & reload, but sounds like that might not be an option at the early release of Win10. Waiting on what MS says...

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, I've read those. And it does not specifically state that you must upgrade first and only, then do a clean install.
It speaks to having to do a subsequent clean install later, if desired. For that, the answer is yes.

The question of "Can I do a clean install first" has not been fully answered.
However...this PowerPoint slide from January seems to suggest yes, you can do a clean install via an ISO file:
m8KJV4N.png

If not for a clean install from the beginning, of what use is obtaining the ISO file upfront?

As always:
"However, the official response from a Microsoft spokesperson when it comes to Windows 10 is “We look forward to sharing more details about how the upgrade will be offered at a later date.” "

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I read you have to install the upgrade because it needs your old key to reactivate Windows 10. I've read in multiple places about this. Then you have to install over what you upgraded.

1. The whole process is so you get a new key.
2. That key is given to you when you do the upgrade
3. The clean install is done over the upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

We shall wait and see exactly how it plays out.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

That diagram shows how you can do the upgrade not the clean install. You get a choice to do the upgrade if you have Windows 8 and Windows 7 SP1 from ISO or update.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. Either through Windows Update, or via an ISO file.
If not for a clean install, of what use is the ISO file?

As said...we shall wait and see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.