[SOLVED] Clean reinstall of upgraded windows 10 need activation key?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi on 2016 i upgraded my pirated windows 8.1 to windows 10 and it's working as genuine. Now if i clean reinstall Windows 10 using installation media will i need activation key?

Solution
Hi on 2016 i upgraded my pirated windows 8.1 to windows 10 and it's working as genuine. Now if i clean reinstall Windows 10 using installation media will i need activation key?

if its activated now, it will be activated after the install. Microsoft were sort of lenient when it came to upgrading people to win 10, they much prefer people on it than scattered over multiple versions of windows, its easier to upgrade everyone then.

look in settings/update & security/activation
if it says Windows is activated with a digital license, then the license is still tied to your hardware.

If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account then the licence is linked to your Microsoft account...
If you actually paid for a license, it should activate without a key. Given that it was pirated as 8.1, I can't say with complete certainty.

Edit: To clarify, if at no point you paid for a license, you will need to do so. If it doesn't work, you will need to call Microsoft to get it sorted out.

Colif

Win 11 Master

if its activated now, it will be activated after the install. Microsoft were sort of lenient when it came to upgrading people to win 10, they much prefer people on it than scattered over multiple versions of windows, its easier to upgrade everyone then.

if it says Windows is activated with a digital license, then the license is still tied to your hardware.

If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account then the licence is linked to your Microsoft account, if you set up user using same Name & email address and password, it is likely to reactivate once it is installed.

When installing win 10 and you get to screen asking for key, click the "I don't have a key" button and install will continue and reactivate once install finished. Keys stored on Microsoft activation servers, PC will check it is okay to reactivate by checking one of these servers.

Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account then the licence is linked to your Microsoft account, if you set up user using same Name & email address and password, it is likely to reactivate once it is installed.

When installing win 10 and you get to screen asking for key, click the "I don't have a key" button and install will continue and reactivate once install finished. Keys stored on Microsoft activation servers, PC will check it is okay to reactivate by checking one of these servers.
it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. though i wana reinstall on a brand new ssd. so will it work? does changing wndows installation drive count as hardware change?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new SSD and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

Setup a Windows 10 Account ^