Clean Reinstall Windows 10 May Cause Problems to SSD

G

Yesterday I clean installed Windows 10 10240 and upgraded to 10586 on my SSD and it caused unusually high Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value on my SSD, for Total Host Writes value, it increased almost 1.2 times of my SSD size. I would like to post the process here and wonder if anyone of you can confirm the same experience as I had.

This is what I have done to clean reinstall Windows 10:
1. Install CrystalDiskInfo and record the Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value
2. Insert Windows 10 10240 USB boot drive, choose clean install, removes everything on the computer, and the tip shows choose this option when you want to recycle the device.
3. Wait till Windows 10 10240 installation is completed
4. Get online and receive update of Windows 10 10586, and some other updates.
5. Restart and install CrystalDiskInfo, and record the new Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads value.

Here is the shocking part: The difference between Total Host Writes is about 1.2 times of the size of SSD, and the difference between Total Host Reads is about 0.3 times of the size of SSD. I did not install anything else.

So here is my testing data:
SSD Size / Total Host Writes Difference / Total Host Reads Difference
1 TB / 1170 GB / 312 GB
256 GB / 310 GB / 50 GB

Basically just to clean install the windows 10 10240 and upgrade to Windows 10 10586, it writes more data than I normally use for a whole year. It seems like it wipes out every bit of cells on my SSD and writes extra cells to install the system from USB drive. Imagine if I clean install several times, the SSD would be degraded very soon due to such a large amount of Writes and Reads.

This is the data from my experience and I might be wrong. I wonder any of you in this forum would be able to test on your own and post your data, to see if my SSDs are problematic or it just works this way. If it works this way, then I think it should be a concern for all SSD users.

Thank you.

You are confusing solid state drive program/erase cycles (p/e cycles) with Crystal Disk Info total host reads and writes.

Program erase cycles refers to writing data to an ssd, erasing the data that was written, and preparing the erased data blocks for reuse. With modern 3rd generation solid state drives it is not unusual for some ssd's to still keep working after having over 2 Petabytes of data written to an ssd and erased. Here is a link to a famous ssd torture test conducted by The Tech Report:

http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

The link is for the introductory article. There were a series of updates published over a period of 18 months. Pager 2 of the introductory article contains links to all the updates and the link to the final final report.

The Crystal Disk Info total host reads and writes are a bit of a problem. The results may not be accurate. The problem is there is no set formula for converting the total host reads and writes to the standard p/e cycles. In fact, the total host reads and writes may actually be inappropriate for your particular ssd model and firmware.

What does CrystalDiskInfo show for Nand writes? I'll bet it is lower than total host reads and writes.

G

Hi JohnnyLucky,

Thank you for your answers.

However, I do not think I am wrong. I read about that article before and what I understood about that in this article all the data values refer to Total Host Writes, as what it showed on the screenshots of some SSDs and what the author reiterated in the article? (20 GB use per day, 22TB, 8.8TB, 100TB etc) Let me know if I am wrong about this.

My point is that clean install Windows 10 will cause insane amount of Total Host Writes to SSD. According to what I read from (http://techreport.com/review/25559/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-200tb-update), Samsung 840 250GB degraded significantly when it reaches 100TB Total Host Writes, and it is about 5000 days' use with an average of 20 GB writes per day. However, a single clean install Windows 10 10240 and upgrade to 10586 will cause around 310 GB Total Host Writes, which equals to 15.5 days' use, just for this single operation. I happen to have this Samsung 840 250GB version for testing.

Unfortunately I cannot see Nand writes in this case since CrystalDiskInfo does not show any data regarding that and none of other software shows it, so I am not able to give you that answer.

Please kindly correct me if I am wrong, thank you very much for your answer.

G

ny19ntdbn

I posted my data for your reference. Thank you.

If it does not show picture above, you can access http://postimg.org/image/ny19ntdbn/