Clean Reinstalling Windows 10 on ssd. How to connect and use HDD with files on it and no OS?

shubhashish.b13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
I have windows installed on my ssd and the 2tb HDD is used only for storage. I want to clean install windows on the ssd again. I read that I need to disconnect the HDD and install windows on the ssd. My doubt is after reconnecting the HDD how will I be able to access the files again? Is there a way to make it show up as it was before the reinstall with the files and partitions? I do not have another drive to backup the HDD. Do I need to format it?

Solution
Once you reconnect the drive Windows will detect it automatically. You don't have to do anything.
Do NOT format the 2TB HDD drive.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
The partitions and folder structure is maintained regardless of whether the HDD is connected to the same OS or not. It's like external HDD or Pendrive except the internal HDD is internal(duh!).

The exception is when you have the HDD partitioned as dynamic, the HDD might not show up. But still, It can be fixed.

TL;DR
Yes, you can go ahead and remove HDD to install OS on SSD, you can reconnect HDD and nothing will be altered.

shubhashish.b13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018

will i have to initialize the disks again in disk management? Will the drive letters remain as they were automatically?

No (if you do not clean the disks).

This can not be guarantied. You may need to change drive letters manually.