[SOLVED] Clean Salt off components

Apr 12, 2020
Hello,
I live next to the beach and was wondering what can i use to clean salt corrosion off my pc components ?
Already have had multiple consoles and pc's die over the years and i keep a dehumidifier in my gaming room but it doesn't really mitigate the problem so i thought i might clean the components quarterly.
The salt/corrosion build up is mainly in pcie sockets etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hello,
I live next to the beach and was wondering what can i use to clean salt corrosion off my pc components ?
Already have had multiple consoles and pc's die over the years and i keep a dehumidifier in my gaming room but it doesn't really mitigate the problem so i thought i might clean the components quarterly.
Any spray-on cleaner will just push contamination around so to do any good you have to get the cleaner into tight crevices and cracks and actually remove it from the board. For this water is as good as it gets; specifically a warm bath in a plastic wash tub of distilled water. With a drop or two of a...
Hello,
Google "Contact cleaner and lubricant".

Hello,
Any spray-on cleaner will just push contamination around so to do any good you have to get the cleaner into tight crevices and cracks and actually remove it from the board. For this water is as good as it gets; specifically a warm bath in a plastic wash tub of distilled water. With a drop or two of a hypo-allergenic (dye and perfume free) dish washing detergent for a saponifier. A warm rinse in clean water and then dry it off in an oven set to no more than 78C for several hours.

And I wouldn't suggest doing this with PSU's, HDD's, SSD's or any other 'packaged' components for a variety of reasons. In fact, this or any other frequently performed cleaning regimen that's effective enough to actually benefit you will accelerate the death of your system, and probably faster than just letting it be. That's because no commercially available hardware is made robust enough to endure the constant fiddling with mating/unmating, removing from case, washing, drying and reassembly.

The best practice would be to prevent it getting there in the first place. Not so hard since it only happens when moisture condenses out in the humid, salt-rich ocean air as the system cools down after turn-off. So, the thing do do is keep it on and warm all the time. If it's on and warm (meaning not going into sleep mode) you'll keep it busy doing something...so contributing to a distributed computing project like Folding@Home or Rosetta (both fighting the Covid virus, as it so happens, right now too:) ) would be a natural fit. If you have a modern GPU decent enough for gaming all you need to do is GPU calculations, which offers the highest work throughput per watt of energy used and will keep the system nice a and warm. Also not overclocking will ensure you get all the useful life you paid for out of the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChangaTron80
Solution

TRENDING THREADS