Clean Samsung 820 256SSD windows 7 install

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Hello,

I am awaiting for my new samsung 830 256GB SSD. At the moment I have HHD on my PC and windows 7 64bit.
What I want to do is :
1. To use my SSD for windows , photoshop, music/video players and other smaller programs to be it quick.
2. To use my HHD for videos music and other storage demanding files.
What is the simplest way to install clean windows on SSD? I don't care to loose any data on my HDD as it was fresh install couple of days ago. I moved all my files to external drive.
Also my mobo is quiet old asus p6td deluxe and I know that I am bound to get only 3GB/s speed .
Is it worth getting this one: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Accessories/U3S6/

Is there a dramatic difference between SATAI2and SATA ? I think I thought of pretty much everything .
Thanks

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Plug the ssd into your system, use the install disk and select the ssd when you install it, I would recommend updating the firmware on the ssd first. Sata 1 -150MBps, Sata 2 - 300MBps, Sata 6 - 600 MBps. If you were to use an ssd that had a read speed of 500 MBps on a sata 2 connector you would only be able to use 300 of that maximum 500.

I also recommend i set your bios sata controller to use AHCI mode which allows trim and native command queue on the drive.

Like for instance, I have 2x ocz vertex 3 120gig drives on a raid 0 and its crazy to be able to read and write at over 1GBps a second, using sata3 connections.

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
hi vegettonox,

How would you update firmware on ssd prior to installation?! The other thing I have in my mind what my PC will do with hdd when I want to use it as a storage ?

1 recommend you put the SSD on the Intel sata II port.
You will not lose a lot as OS Load and Program load times are governed more by the small 4 K random read/writes. High Sequencial performance only benitfits large file/data structures, For Most this is not very important. In your case it depends on where the "large" photos and video files reside. If they are on the HDD, then NO gain.

Reference the U3S6. Have one, but only use it for the USB3 and I stuck a WD Black 1 TB Sata III HDD on it. The Driver on it is Not the best for Sata III SSD and over all may have better Overall performance on the IntelSata II port (that is where I have my 2 SSDs.

As to Installation:
1) Check to see if Your HDD was set to AHCI when you installed windows. If it was great, if it was set to IDE mode change to aqhci. Must first make a registry Change which is simple. reboot, chang bios to ahci. walla done.
2) Disconnect HDD, Connect SSD, power on go to Bios and verify AHCI is enabled. and install your windows 7 on SSD.
3.) when Done, power down, reconnect HSS, power on go to Bios and set Boot order to SSD.

For the beaty of this, You can NOW daul boot to either drive. Simply hit the key that brings up boot Menu (ie on My gigabye MB it is F12, On my Asrock it is F11. NOTE this does NOT change Bios Boot priority.

When Happy, no problems (ie after a Month) then you can blow win 7 off of the HDD.

ENJOY!!!

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Hello RetiredChief

What an easy way to explain everything. Thank you. Would you mind giving me a more insight into these 2 please.

On # (1).
There are two methods of daul booting. The first is to install a operating system on one HDD/partition, then the 2nd OS on either a seperate partion/HDD. Using a Software boot manager you can then select which OS to Boot from. However I do NOT like this method primarily because a problem on on OS can disable both OSs.
Method 2 which is what I discribed, This is Not a problem as There is NO software Boot manager. Two HDDs are used. and Only one of the HDDs is connected when the OS is Installed. Doing it this way means that Neither OS is aware of the other OS and Neither OS can interfer with the other.
During the Post, Unless you press the Function key, You will boot straight into the OS (HDD) that you have set as priority 1. However; If during the Post you hit the Key that brings up a Boot menu (will Include ALL bootable drives), you can then select which drive to Boot to. Say you select the "old" HDD and then the system Boots to the OLD OS. NOTE - Normal Boot the SSD would be drive "C" and the Old HDD would then be "D" (and "E" if you have a 2nd Partition on that drive). If You select to Boot to the Old OS than that OS becomes "C" and the SSD will Now become D or E. You will Be able to fully access the ALL HDDs/partitions no matter which OS is Active. This Does NOT effect boot order in Bios, So if you hbooted to OLD OS and you reboot, If you do NOT again kit the Function key, the System will boot to which ever drive is set in Bios - ie the New OS on the SSD.
On an Older system I used this approach to triple boot to XP (on one HDD), Vista (on a 2nd HDD) and to Windows 7 beta on a 3rd HDD.

For Number 2. When you no longer need the Old OS you can simply delete it. After Installing Win 7 on the SSD, and leaving the OS on the HDD. You can then copy any files from the Old OS to the new OS on the SSD - ie Your favorites, your email, and any files that may have been in the "my docs folder). Myself i would leave the OLD OS on the HDD for at least 2 weeks (maybe a month) just to be safe that you have NO problems with the SSD. At that time you can simply reformat the partition on the Old HDD that has the OS and reuse it as data partition.

Hope this helps.

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
RetiredChief

I am not sure how the partition would be created here? If I do install windows on SSD( with old HHD and OS disconnected) then set the booting priority on SSD. Then I would imagine I have C and D drives. Would in this case partition exist or have to be made? Not sure if know about partitions .
Thanks

Ok, I'm quessing that cunnetly you have only one partition on your HDD, Your "C" drive. When you disconnect the HDD and connect SSD and install windows on it.

Before you connect your HDD. You should see in My computer a "C drive" which will have your OS on it. You may also See a VERY small 100 mb partition called system, This contains Boot info. If that shows up with a drive letter, then:
Rt click My computer, select manage.
On the Left side click on disk management
This will bring up a "Block" digarm of your "Drive 0" SSD.
If the System reserve Has a drive letter, then Right click, select change drive letter. Assign a Letter Like "G" or even L from pull down box - ignore warning.
Why your there look for your DVD drive and change its drive letter from "D" to say "F"

You then can power off. Re-attach the HDD and power on.

Now your system should come up with the Following listed in My computer:
"C" drive, Your SSD with OS + programs.
"D" drive Your Old HDD
"F" Your DVD drive.
When you plug a thumbdrive in it should come up as "E".

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Thanks for support.
Hi RetiredChief
Got my SSD installed .All working goo(i think so)
Old HHD is on too. Booting from SSD following your guidelines. I did some performance benchmarks and this is the figures I got. Is it acceptable for a SATA II?
I also ended up with having system reserved (E) drive which is 61.8MB free of 99.9MB I suppose it is the famous 100MB thing isn't ?
Link to SSD benchamrks :http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/nebulaoperator/ssd.jpg?t=1346420087

Lucky me I have left all my valuable stuff after backing it up on my external HD . As soon as everything was finished and I connected it to my PC it broken! Sizzling/beeping noise. Windows asking to reformat it. So then I hooked up my old HHD and get working it .
By the way my windows is booting at around 40 seconds. Is it normal? After I heard people manage to do it in under 20 seconds?! I got a couple of programs that probably starting up at the boot like photoshop antivirus and few small one's. maybe it is slowing down the booting time?
Thanks for your help!

Your Link didn't work.
But if you used AS SSD and your overall score is around 500 You are good. Over all score for 830 on sata III is in the 700's I believe.

Boot time (off of SSD) on sata II should be around 20->25 Sec. For sta III it is arround 15 Sec give or take a little. But does depend on Number of/and which programs are in the start up.

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Sorry link looks a bit messy if you copy and paste this one http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/nebulaoperator/ssd.jpg?t=1346420087 it should work

I will try it again to attach image:

ssd.jpg

What do you mean AS SSD? I can't really see the score you are talking about.Is it displayed when ,,performance benchmark,, is done on Samsung SSD magician or there is another program to get the score?
I am using SATA II just to remind.
Edit .I know what you mean AS SSD. will download now.

nebulaoperator

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
here we go. Looks good.

ssdbenchmark.jpg