Question Clean up SSD and use it as secondary storage>

Feb 27, 2019
I have a hard drive and a SSD in my computer. The SSD has my OS (Win 10 64bit) used to work great but it started giving problems. I checked out frequently what it was but no luck. I started looking in the bios and changed the boot device order and found out I also have another same OS (Win 10 64bit) installed on my hard drive. It was there before I had the SSD. It is working smoothly so I am thinking to clean up the SSD and use at as a storage device but I do not know how.

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't find any help.

The SSD is so much faster normally, that I'd try hard to just image the hard drive over to the SSD, and then try again with SSD as the boot/OS source....if it fails, you are out 20-40 minutes of time only (times assume 240 gb of actual data to be imaged)

You can make an image w/ Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, or Easeus Total Backup, or, if you have a Western Digital External drive of any sort (and don't get confused which drive is which!), you can use WD's version of Acronis True Image...(just be aware that which drive comes first will vary, and WD might show it's drive as first, and your intended OS drive as last, which can be confusing if/when all drives are 500 GB, for instance...)

(CLonezilla also works very well, but, is sort of 'ugly' with but old 3-4 color text based menus with no GUI, and requires a mini-tutorial to learn to take/store an image, and the different steps required to restore from one. But it works well, and has never failed me, as I've taken images of even multiboot (Windows and Linux)/mult-partition drives and restored from them for practice and to make sure it worked...which it does. Clonezilla does not allow cloning to a smaller SSD, however, but this can normally be worked around by shrinking the HDD partition first.

TRENDING THREADS