Clean Win10 install comes with network drivers?

Magnarok

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I'm having issues with my wifi signal strength. Where I used to get full signal before, I only get one bar indicating signal strength now. I have tried to reinstall drivers with no luck so I visited my retailer to get it fixed as I now believe it is a hardware issue. He told me to do a clean install of Win10 to check if that solves the problem, so I did.

I reinstalled Win10 from scratch and deleted all partions on the machine. I tried it with the Media Creation Tool and also with a ISO-file made with Rufus (both on USB). But both yield the same result. I get a clean machine, but with wifi working from the beginning! I have done plenty of clean installs over the years and none of them has come with network drivers already installed. Am I doing something wrong or has Win10 added some sort of network driver included in the install?

I just feel that I would have more of a chance fixing any software issues if I could reinstall all the drivers on a completely clean system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 has a large amount of drivers available to it, and ever new version of win 10 has newer drivers added to it. It can support a wide range of hardware out of the box. That isn't to say it gets the newest but it has a pretty big collection of default drivers that work with most hardware.

If there is any hardware it can't identify it will look for the drivers on 1st few bootups

You should always check motherboard web site to make sure you have newest drivers after an install.

Magnarok

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
The problems persist after the clean install. This laptop is 4-5 years old, but the problems occurred last 2 weeks. I'm having a hard time finding the motherboard listed in the system. Used both the "Sytem Information" and "Speccy" but both of them list vague names:

BaseBoard Manufacturer Type2 - Board Vendor Name1
BaseBoard Product Type2 - Board Product Name1
BaseBoard Version Type2 - Board Version

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite S50-B
System SKU: PSPQ6E

Magnarok

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I did download the latest drivers from the Toshiba website for the laptop. I'm struggling finding the exact motherboard for it online to check if the have different drivers for it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, don't worry about looking for motherboard code in a laptop

I can find this page but its not exact same SKU - https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200012811, if i look up your SKU on that site it throws an error saying its not a valid code for region.

reason I mention it is there are updated Intel Wireless lan drivers from 2019 on the site - https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200012811&osId=26

An alternate is to go here and see if Intel have anything newer - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Magnarok

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Thanks! I will check this out, I really appreciate your time, mate! :)

Should I delete the network driver from "Device Manager" or is it enough to just download the driver online and let it sort it out itself?

Magnarok

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Okay, I tried installing the driver you provided but it didn't match with my computer. I've already tried to install the drivers from the EU site for this exact model with no luck. I think it's time to get it repaired at the shop...

Thanks again, have a nice day.