[SOLVED] [Clean Windows 10 Install] Brand new PC setup freezes during Windows 10 installation attempts

Jul 29, 2019
Update: Be sure to ensure your BIOS version is up-to-date. Specifically when using 9th Gen Intel as support for these has come more recently. New part != updated BIOS.

Parts list:

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
SSD - Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280

Problem Description:

After putting together my PC consisting of all new parts, purchased over time and past their return dates now, I'm attempting to install Windows 10 via USB so I can start using the PC. When attempting this and selecting the UEFI USB drive to boot from I land at the Windows logo splash. There's a small delay and then the spinning 'loading' dots appear. They make about two revolutions and then stop, freezing indefinitely.

Attempted Solutions:

I've seen many forum posts exhibiting the same or very similar problems to mine. As such I've tried the solutions that were presented in these threads, but haven't reached a working solution yet.
  • Simplified setup. Removed GPU from equation (GTX 1070Ti). Removed HDD from equation (Seagate Constellation ES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM).
  • Adjusted RAM setup. Tried A1/B1 and A2/B2 channels. Tried each individual stick by itself in all four channels. Tried default settings, XMP, and manual timings to match these specific sticks but with a slower clock than XMP. Of note when trying to use XMP and faster clock speeds with manual timings the system failed before getting to BIOS and rebooted on its own with default memory settings.
  • Hardware CMOS Reset (multiple times)
  • Reload default BIOS settings (multiple times)
  • Tested multiple USB drives.
  • Tested with Media Creation Tool and Rufus. Tested with default Media Creation Tool output and creating bootable USB from ISO. Tested with Quick Format enabled and disabled.
  • Tested multiple USB ports (3.1, 3.0, 2.0)
  • Removed and placed CPU in socket again, applied new thermal paste for heatsink/cooler. This was tested because when the loading dots freeze the CPU fan speed increases.
  • Unplugged and replugged fans, main USB, power cables, etc for sanity check.
  • Ensured AHCI SATA controller was being used.
  • Ensured CSM was enabled / Secure Boot was disabled.
  • Ensured Fast Boot was disabled.
  • Installing Ubuntu from USB. Received what seems to be another fairly common issue "[ 0.000000] [Firmware Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata; please update microcode to version: 0x52." Attempted to follow instructions to download and add intel-ucode.img to the boot folder of the USB, but was not able to succesfully fix the problem doing so.
Image:

View: https://imgur.com/bbrMzQE

The freeze happens before any options to interact with the Windows 10 install process occur. I can access BIOS and make changes there just fine, but this will always freeze when attempting to boot from USB and install Windows. Happy to hear any and all suggestions. At this point I'm hoping there's a way to get my setup working and that there isn't a hardware failure, as I've past the return dates.

Last edited:
Solution
If your mobo is so old you can't return it anymore I would start with a BIOS update,most mobos don't fully support the 9th gen straight away with their original bios.
Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I'll try out using the HDD when I get home tonight. I'll also look into updating the mobo BIOS.

To clarify - the mobo isn't old, but I've passed the time limit for the return policy of the distributor (25-30 days). I'll look into manufacturer warranty.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the replies. I'll try out using the HDD when I get home tonight. I'll also look into updating the mobo BIOS.

To clarify - the mobo isn't old, but I've passed the time limit for the return policy of the distributor (25-30 days). I'll look into manufacturer warranty.
Just to clarify, typically the PC won't post at all if the BIOS isn't supporting the CPU, or it will simply boot loop, because the PC basically can't detect a compatible CPU, so it won't even begin to load windows.

If you're posting, you've probably got a BIOS that can take the chip, just a later BIOS may still help. Would be worth checking what BIOS version you have / what the reseller shipped it with.

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out I was just being a bit naive. I'd assumed since the part was new that it would come with latest updates, but hadn't checked to see if that was the case.

The mobo was running a version of it's BIOS 'F8', but 9th gen support was added in F9 and additional security updates were in F10. I flashed the BIOS with F10 and everything is working perfectly now.

Another PEBKAC/ID.10T error. Thanks for pointing it out for me!

Reactions: PC Tailor