Clean Windows 8 Install?

junaid96

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
TLDR: Lenovo laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 bloatware edition. I want to run a fresh install from an ISO I downloaded, but also want to create backup media so I can restore the laptop to its former bloatware glory, six different weird partitions and all.

Full version:
I bought a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 a couple of days back, only to find that the operating system contains a bunch of bloatware and tweaks, courtesy of Lenovo.

I wanted to get a Windows 8 iso off the internet and perform a fresh install, but it seems to be somewhat more complicated:

Lenovo uses this 'OneKey Recovery' system for its backups/restores/etc. and has a weird partitioning as a result:
aww9rb.jpg

Normally I would just delete existing partitions and install a new copy of Windows just like that, but some of these partitions seem to be hidden, and I want to make a backup of the 'factory settings', including all of these partitions, before I try to run a fresh install, so that if anything goes wrong I can have it back to its original state including the OneKey functionality.

I tried creating a recovery USB drive in Windows 8, but when I booted from it and hit reset, it said "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

I'm also pretty confused about the differences between GPT/MBR/UEFI/BIOS/Legacy when booting up and installing different versions of Windows.

moulderhere

Distinguished
Don't delete any of the partitions.

The lenovo I just got myself with windows 8. It has Roxio Crap burning software. I forget what Dell uses. Regardless, if I load it up, I have in the dark depth of the burning software the ability to make backup reinstallation discs (this is one way to get to the option to burn restore discs).

For me, I loaded up the Lenovo Laptop manager software and browsed to find the option. It wasn't easy. Though once I got it, I was able to burn 2 DVD discs for Restore DVDs.

After that, I used hirens and nuked all partitions and re-installed :)

junaid96

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I don't quite get what to do to create a backup drive/disk, and what it is that will be on there - would it just be a copy of all six partitions in the screenshot in the OP?

Essentially I want some form of bootable media which will recreate the required partitions to perform a factory recovery (with the branded OEM version of Windows) and to then be able to nuke the hard drive and install an untouched copy of Windows.

TRENDING THREADS