Cleaned (dusted) PC, rearranged wires, no boot

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Long Story: Turned off power (switch), unplugged everything from the computer, unplugged power cord going to PSU, took it outside and cleaned with a can of air, redid cable management (actually, did it for the first time in that PC), moved HDD a few slots lower to improve airflow, put the case back together, brought it inside, plugged everything in, plugged power cable in, turn the switch on and... nothing. Nothing as in, no electricity seems to even be getting to the power supply, since no fans (including the one in the PSU) spin, no LEDs turn on, nothing.

Short Story: I moved the hard drive in the case, moved the power cables around to improve airflow, and cleaned it with a can of compressed air. Now it seems like there's no power going into the power supply, or it's not putting any power at all out.

It's been working fine for the last year, and has been unplugged from the wall before.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I've tested the power supply with the 'paper-clip trick'. It works, the DVD drive works, and the hard drive works. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is messed up.

Is there any way to tell (considering that nothing at all works when the mobo is plugged into the PSU) if the motherboard is the problem, or if it's the processor? Would the memory cause the system to not turn anything on at all? Is there a way to see if the video card still works without a working motherboard?

johng24601

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
With all the moving around and cable manangement you did, maybe you pulled off the power switch cable from the motherboard. Or if you took it off, make sure you put it back on the correct pins.

Good luck.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Right, you know its not the PSU, that means it is either something on the motherboard or something with the power switch on the front of the pc... if the pc was completely unplugged, the case wasnt earthed when you were tinkering - increasing the risk of static damage. There's no way i know of testing the graphics card outisde of a working system - but its besides the point - if it was just the graphics card it would at least spin some fans and bleep annoyingly when you turned it on.

TRENDING THREADS