[SOLVED] Cleaned gpu now doesnt beep on boot

5wixy

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Made a post 4-5 days ago about my GTX 970 GPU acting funny, so anyway i took in to a tech guy and he did his things and at the end he pronounced the GPU dead.
I had another GPU GIGABYTE R9 280XOC which 3 months ago started showing stripes and lines on the screen so from what i understood it probably had a component that died but didnt really affect overall electric flow so the card still worked.
So i took the R9 to the tech and he cleaned and said that its probably showing these stripes because its really dirty which it was so he took it apart and cleaned it and changed the thermal paste and all that.
But then when he assembled it and put it in the MOBO and turned on the PC it started but didnt boot( no beep at all).
He said that it might be a PSU issue which he suspected for both GPU but i changed my PSU to a new one and got that ruled out.

tl;dr old GPU doesnt let the pc boot after cleaning.

specs:
Intel I5-4570
GIGABYTE R9 280XOC
16GB ddr3
Gigabyte H81M-D2V
Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80+ Bronze HCG750 Retail

Solution
What has changed? The dude cleaning the card lol. Imo he just straight busted it if before that it was working but it was just showing artifacts. Now after he messed around with it, it doesn't magically work anymore.
THIS,

he may have damaged it while cleaning, and if it was displaying weird issues prior to him doing that it may have been on its way out anyways. it's unfortunate but i hope he didn't charge you for a job not done

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Is the bios in csm mode? Some of those card struggle when the bios is in uefi mode, especially if they got recently updated. You should find it under boot options in your bios. And between me and you, those artifacts are not caused by a dirty gpu but by the vram (be that the chip itself or some capacitors). It could also be that the card is gone just like the 970.

5wixy

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Is the bios in csm mode? Some of those card struggle when the bios is in uefi mode, especially if they got recently updated. You should find it under boot options in your bios. And between me and you, those artifacts are not caused by a dirty gpu but by the vram (be that the chip itself or some capacitors). It could also be that the card is gone just like the 970.
thanks for the quick reply. About the csm thing ill check it. The thing is it did boot before the cleaning, so what has changed?

got it new in 2013 lol

Maybe start to remember your wannabe overclocking experiments and amount of dust forgot to clean from GPU radiator during 8 years ;)

FYI: Got my R9 280 as used in minig for a year before. Seems previous owner was not pushed it much - card worked in my home PC for 5 years without problems. Still works in friends computer for 2 years already.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
thanks for the quick reply. About the csm thing ill check it. The thing is it did boot before the cleaning, so what has changed?
What has changed? The dude cleaning the card lol. Imo he just straight busted it if before that it was working but it was just showing artifacts. Now after he messed around with it, it doesn't magically work anymore.

5wixy

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Maybe start to remember your wannabe overclocking experiments and amount of dust forgot to clean from GPU radiator during 8 years ;)

FYI: Got my R9 280 as used in minig for a year before. Seems previous owner was not pushed it much - card worked in my home PC for 5 years without problems. Still works in friends computer for 2 years already.
ouch that was personal, i was 13 when i got it so i didnt do any experiments lmao

ouch that was personal, i was 13 when i got it so i didnt do any experiments lmao

Then I appologize. Still card seems got overheated earlier and now begin to die. Also it may got struck by failing power filter capacitors or other components that begin malfunction at high temperature (over +60C). Would not hurt to give it to repair service for diagnosing.

THIS,

he may have damaged it while cleaning, and if it was displaying weird issues prior to him doing that it may have been on its way out anyways. it's unfortunate but i hope he didn't charge you for a job not done

Solution
May happen that your hero indeed tried cleaning part to hard and accidentally teared some component. Like one-two 0.1 uF SMD filtering capacitors. Or forgot something wet between RAM data lines. Still wouldn't hurt to give this card to someone else. Preferrably with microscope and experience in short finding on high density electronic boards.