[SOLVED] Cleaned Laptop heatsink Fan not sure if ok

Hello

My laptop is MSI CX62 6QD
I opened my laptop today and heard a loud noise coming from the heatsink fan, since it has never been cleaned I decided to clean it. The laptop has never been cleaned in the inside. It's my first time trying to open a laptop from its insides so I watched several videos on how-tos to open the specific model for my laptop. I made sure i disconnected the laptop charger while doing this operation.

I managed to remove the cover, removed the heatsink model, cleaned the dust out, clean the thermal paste using 70% Isoprophyl Alcohol (I can't find a 90% one on my area as much as I would ideally want to use that instead) using Q tips both from the heat sink and the CPU/GPU. Now i used a Thermal Take TG-2 thermal paste to re-apply to both cpu and gpu using the dot method application, there were no over spills. The thermal paste is more than 5 years old now i think but its still all that I have because my place is on quarantine due to covid.

Now when as i was about to mount the heat sink back ontop of the CPU and GPU with the newly applied thermal paste, i saw some sparks come out. I got worried a bit. I wasn't sure if I had to disconnect the battery as well connected to the laptop's motherboard while doing this, because in the videos that I saw they didn't need to or didn't advise such.

I tried to power on the laptop, it didn't power
Now i tried to plug in the charger to the laptop and it powered.

The Heatsink fan worked but it still made that same loud noise as before, so I rebooted
This time the heatsink fan was quiet and manageable, but when i slightly moved my laptop it started making that same loud noise, so i rebooted again.
Now i try to put my laptop at a stand still and the heat sink fan was quiet.

I'm now currently monitoring the temp of my CPU and GPU for my laptop to see if what I did was OK using speccy application
Were the sparks awhile ago a caused for concern? did i short something? or was i lucky that i didn't break anything by chance. Also do i have to disconnect the battery as well before cleaning the fan next time?

So far as of this writing the temperature seems stable/ok with my CPU at 38C at idle and GPU on 44C at idle

As for the heat sink fan, if it were to still make that loud noise, I should consider replacing it instead? (I think the problem may be from the bearing of the fan)

Solution
Just about to say, pls people DISCONNECT the battery connector when you replace thermal paste, idk what kinda how to videos you where watching but alot of people probably shorted something on theyre motherboard while doing this.

There was also a thread where someone shorted the battery connector when removing it which caused component / motherboard failure.

If you drop your screwdriver or accidentally touch somewhere you might short 2 power lines getting 19.5v to 3.3v power rail , not good right?

If its working you got lucky and maybe some "not so" important capacitor for example might be dead or then everything works. The fan might be dying soon, When you that noise its just damaging itself, this wont take long and you need new...
Just about to say, pls people DISCONNECT the battery connector when you replace thermal paste, idk what kinda how to videos you where watching but alot of people probably shorted something on theyre motherboard while doing this.

There was also a thread where someone shorted the battery connector when removing it which caused component / motherboard failure.

If you drop your screwdriver or accidentally touch somewhere you might short 2 power lines getting 19.5v to 3.3v power rail , not good right?

If its working you got lucky and maybe some "not so" important capacitor for example might be dead or then everything works. The fan might be dying soon, When you that noise its just damaging itself, this wont take long and you need new one, Best would be just replace it as soon as possible ( your probabloy fine using it few months until the replacement arrives)

http://www.laptop-cooling-fans.com/cx62-6qd-fan.html
Dont quote me on that site, i never ordered from it, try amazon / ebay / aliexpress too. If there is 2 fans one for gpu and 1 for cpu then you need to order the right one.

Solution
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtU6qJUwwiw
(Jump to 4:40)
This was the reference video i watched, but ok noted next time i will plug off the battery connector of the laptop to the laptop's motherboard.

View: https://imgur.com/1u1y3C9

The connector encircled in red is what I should have removed before replacing the thermal paste and just plug it in back after the thermal paste was re applied and the heat sink is mounted.

I guess i was lucky, the sparks emitted came from around the GPU chip of the laptop as I was mounting the heatsink bank on top with the thermal paste applied.

Nope i did not drop any screw driver anywhere on top of the laptop motherboard nor did it make contact with anything. As of now, my laptop seems to be working fine still and the fan seems to be in normal operation.

Hmm interesting thing i thought is the fan that you linked doesn't come with the attached copper plated heat sinks, but i guess once i buy the fan unit replacement ill just let it be done on a laptop repair service.