Question Cleaned my PC and when i boot up, it shuts off and repeats the same process

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone, i will be quick here but few days ago i dusted off my pc using a hair dryer in the cool temp, did what i do every few months but when i pressed the power button to check if everything was working fine after the cleaning process, everything seemed alright but right before it beeps to sign it's OK, the PC shut off and retries again and again. Sometimes it beeps, but it shuts off again. When it beeps, i can physically see the BIOS POST on my screen but shuts off.

The shutting down happened right when the CPU fan starts ramping up speed then shuts down and it's a loop.

My PSU is an old one, a Greek PSU that defo got more than 8 years and i might suggest that it just doesn't got any more juice to power the components.

I tried everything, resitting RAMs, removing GPU and powering the PC without the GPU, removing CMOS battery etc etc etc. I haven't tried resitting the CPU but i didn't even touch the CPU in the cleaning process so I'm not going to do that.

But the question is, what did the hair dryer do and make the pc like that? It's not like i used a vaccum cleaner and shorted out capacitors

Upon closer inspection on the PSU itself (opened it up), i saw one of the two big capacitors had rust on it's side and 2 small i think they were 5V capacitors were starting to bulge on the top but other than that, nothing else. Not sure if that rust on the big capacitor was there when i last opened the PSU few months ago though. I could take a pic of the rust if you guys want

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to add was that i got an old PC sitting in the attic and it has a 400w PSU in it, i tested that PSU on my current machine and the restart stopped, BUT i tested the faulty PSU on the attic PC and the PC was working fine but i mean that attic PC has an Intel Pentium 4 with an FX-5200 GPU and 1 stick of 512MB of RAM which those components basically require no power but no wonder the restart didn't happen there. Whereas my current machine has an i5-750 CPU, 1050 Ti GPU and 4 sticks of RAM (4+2+4+2).

Last edited:
Hey there,

Upon closer inspection on the PSU itself (opened it up), i saw one of the two big capacitors had rust on it's side and 2 small i think they were 5V capacitors were starting to bulge on the top but other than that, nothing else. Not sure if that rust on the big capacitor was there when i last opened the PSU few months ago though. I
This is a complete no-no. Never open a PSU, unless qualified to do so. Capacitors can carry a charge, even when not plugged in.

It's could the PSU is the issue. Have you got a budget in mind for one? We can advise. Please list your full ps spec.

Reactions: PEnns

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hey there,

This is a complete no-no. Never open a PSU, unless qualified to do so. Capacitors can carry a charge, even when not plugged in.

It's could the PSU is the issue. Have you got a budget in mind for one? We can advise. Please list your full ps spec.
Ye i know it's a no no to open a PSU lol, i've been doing it for years now on that specific one but nothing's happened to me yet, touch wood.

Yeah i got a PSU in mind which is the Be Quiet System Power 10 550w or 650w (650w for future proof, still can't decide either 550w or 650w, there is only a 7€ difference lol, 54€ the 550w and 61€ the 650w). My first choice was the Corsair CV550 but changed to the System Power 10.

My full PC specs are the following:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU: i5-750 2.67GHz but overclocked to 3.8GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC, not overclocked
RAM: 4+4GB Corsair 1333MHz (OC'ed to 1480MHz cuz of the CPU OC) and 2+2GB 1333MHz Corsair again total 4 sticks.
SSD: Samsung 860 Pro 500GB
HDD: WD Green 500GB

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
The CV is arguably as bad as the next bad one!
But, given your system is quite dated, the power supply may just be fine for you.

As for the beQuiet : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/be-quiet-system-power-10-750w/12.html

Not highly rated at all.
Well, what PSU(s) do you recommend then? With a budget of 60€ and max 600w and hopefully the PSU you recommend is available on my region to have a look at it. Since what you said both are bad, well, don't know what else to say lol

Plus my other option was the P550B from Gigabyte, not sure how that is

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
What stores would you purchase from?
I'm from Greece, specifically Athens and i use a site called Skroutz.gr that shows all private owned individual tech stores (not chain stores) in one place and shows the cheapest price at the top on each product. There could be 10, 50, 150 stores but it will show the cheapest price at top and the most expensive at the bottom. If you want, you can have a browse there yourself and search power supplies with a budget of 60€ and max 600w and tell me which PSU you think is the best. The site will be in Greek but you can change that at the top right.

Thanks if you do this, and if not, i won't argue of course

Also below the price of each item, make sure you see that it says "at xx stores" and not an individual store name as they tend to have higher prices than the ones that have the "at xx stores". Or you can just sort by the lowest price, up to you

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
I did see that you had put the System Power 11 at 71€ but you removed it haha cuz it's out of budget but i had also seen the CX550 as well as the second option well before but i wasn't sure if i wanted it it or not because it's around 6 years old and it's out of stock even on Corsairs website itself and that 1 store in Greece has it. Is it worth it you think?

I did see that you had put the System Power 11 at 71€ but you removed it haha cuz it's out of budget but i had also seen the CX550 as well as the second option well before but i wasn't sure if i wanted it it or not because it's around 6 years old and it's out of stock even on Corsairs website itself and that 1 store in Greece has it. Is it worth it you think?
It's not the best or the worst. It's okay for a mid level build. Just don't go OC'ing any components.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
It's not the best or the worst. It's okay for a mid level build. Just don't go OC'ing any components.
Alright, either way if nothing goes wrong with the rest of the components, i see that PSU being used in the same components for a few good years.

I don't wanna be that guy but i had my CPU OC'ed to 3.8GHz constantly almost 2 years now so me not OC'ing the CPU now after i buy that PSU, it's gonna be hard. Either way i'm gonna leave the BIOS settings stock when i buy the new PSU so it settles in then i will OC after like a week or so.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 2947362

Ye i know it's a no no to open a PSU lol, i've been doing it for years now on that specific one but nothing's happened to me yet, touch wood.
LOL I'm exactly the same But most likely more ... I'll say clumsy or stupid more likes.

Like being thrown across the room when I decide to poke that vibrating thing that was buzzing in the back of an old crt TV lol

And the 240Volt shock I got when stripping the cable using my teeth lol

yeah I learned the hard way lol

Reactions: Exploding PSU

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
LOL I'm exactly the same But most likely more ... I'll say clumsy or stupid more likes.

Like being thrown across the room when I decide to poke that vibrating thing that was buzzing in the back of an old crt TV lol

And the 240Volt shock I got when stripping the cable using my teeth lol

yeah I learned the hard way lol
Hhahaha wow, that's crazy

How you still alive when you got that 240v shock lol

Alright, either way if nothing goes wrong with the rest of the components, i see that PSU being used in the same components for a few good years.

I don't wanna be that guy but i had my CPU OC'ed to 3.8GHz constantly almost 2 years now so me not OC'ing the CPU now after i buy that PSU, it's gonna be hard. Either way i'm gonna leave the BIOS settings stock when i buy the new PSU so it settles in then i will OC after like a week or so.
I would say that he could easily get away with an OC on the old intel CPU and the CX550 from corsair. I almost guarentee that the CX550 is a better PSU than what it is replacing.

I would say that he could easily get away with an OC on the old intel CPU and the CX550 from corsair. I almost guarentee that the CX550 is a better PSU than what it is replacing.
Well, it is, that's why I recommended it.

With that said, the CX is just bang average. Specially the older green label. The newer one with the grey label is better.

The CX is not the best or worst.

Reactions: helper800
D

Deleted member 2947362

Hhahaha wow, that's crazy

How you still alive when you got that 240v shock lol
Luckily when I bit in to the plastic and made contact with the live wire and my teeth the shock made my arm throw forward thus stripping the wire effortlessly and also extremely quickly.

My mates where cracking up when they realized what I'd just done, the worse part was I turned the electric on by accident as I didn't realise the light with the string pull switch also made the wire in my mouth live lol

In 1 hand just put wire in mouth to strip
With 2nd just pulled string for better light so I could see what I was doing easier.

So it was quick really, just a case of, pull string, arm fly's forward, wire stripped and I'm WTF! Friends laff a lot .

That about sums it up.

To be fair I was more lucky I wasn't killed by the old 1970 colour TV.

I'm sure it said something along the lines of DANGER WARRNING some ridiculous amount of voltage DO NOT TOUCH on that big coil of copper wire around the back of the CRT of cause that buzzing vibrating noise was annoying and I just had to poke my finger in to stop that plastic thing from making that annoying noise, next thing big flash and I was picking myself up from the floor on the other side of the room bloody arm felt like a vibrating guitar string man that really hurt. lol

I'm Sure I'm Frank Spencer's Love Child ?

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! OR ANYWHERE ELSE COME TO THINK OF IT!

Last edited by a moderator: