merrick28

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi all, first post here but i stop by here occasionally. Ive been cleaning out my cupboards and found componets from an old 486 and a voodoo3d to a few new intel chips and was wondering if any of you had any advice on what i should pair with what.

i was looking at building a spare gaming rig for the occasional lan match (possibly 2 spares) these are the parts i have to work with:

Intel Q6600 Quad 2.4 plus Gigabyte Ga-P43-ES3G
AMD Phenom Quad 2.6 plus ASUS M3N-WS

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v
4GB (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX DDR 2 1066 5-5-5-15 2.3v

Id normally go for the intel chip but i think the board lets it down, not sure on the ram, ive never really been one for benchmarks.

If you have any advice id appreciate it

PS spare gaming rig will also have 2xSSD's and a radeon HD6xxx (higher end cant remember exact model) from my old gaming rig.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would definetly go for the Q6600 and the Gigabyte board as the basis. They were made for each other. The board:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3484#ov (check out the memory support)
can handle 16 gigs of memory, and the pairs you have will each (and maybe both together) work. Although it's always best to match the RAM.

If the AMD processor isn't a phenom II, there's no comparison to the Q6600 quad.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gaming-performance,3007-5.html
You have the basis for an oldie but goodie.

merrick28

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for the reply, i did end up going with the intel setup and a very good setup it was. The SSD performance in Raid 0 is amazing, and the GPU was a XFX 6850 2gb (i thought it was only 1gb when i found it, nice suprise!) slightly overkill for now as i only have a 1280x1024 monitor spare as my HD monitor is connected to my i7. I also had a rather large zalman CPU cooler which finished it off nicely :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

LOL... yeah, Id say that HD 6850 2GB is a bit overkill for the 1280x1024 display. A 2GB card is usually meant for multiple HiDef displays. But, at least it will stay cool an quiet while maxing out any game's settings.

I've had a couple matching HDDs in set up in RAID 0 config before, but I've never heard of using a single SSD and a HDD in RAID 0... ??? Is the SSD caching the HDD?

merrick28

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Theres 2x SSD in raid 0, reading it back, it did seem a little unclear in my last post. i didnt even know i had that card in the cupboard...thought it was an old 5xxx series. little gutted that i dont even use this rig as it flies!