Question Cleaned PC for 2nd time and both times PSU went bad! PLEASE HELP

Nov 19, 2021
So i built my gaming pc in December of 2020. It works great, so its not an old system by any means. I decided to clean it in June 2021, used compressed air and unfortunately while i was blowing dust out of the power supply some residue from inside the can came out and shorted my PSU :( Got a new one the week after, so i go to clean my PC again today and decided to stay away from the condensed air cans and just used a very small battery powered blower to clean the dust with a dry rag. AND MY PSU WENT BAD AGAIN SOMEHOW! I have no idea how but if anybody can tell me if im doin something wrong? Has this ever happened to anybody else. PLEASE HELP!!

Nov 19, 2021
The PSU was disconnected from the wall socket while cleaning?
Did you block the fan inside the PSU?

Brand and model of both PSUs?
Yes, i disconnected all chords and cleaned it outside. They were both EVGA the first one was a 500W Gold Certified and the second was a 650W GA.

Nov 19, 2021
i cleaned my pc out on a towel in the yard, could i have somehow accidentally transferred a static charge that shorted out the psu?

sonofjesse

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
I would quit cleaning the PC out. I have known people who never cleaned the PC and it works. Your method is doing something wrong.

A dirty PC that works is better, than a clean PC with a blown up power supply.

You need to power it up while it's not plugged in. Some people just unplug it and then "try" to turn on the PC. The effort of trying to turn on the PC when there's not enough power to do so is typically enough to drain those caps.

You could also just plug a case fan into the PSU and then paperclip jumper the 24-pin and after a few seconds after the fan stops spinning, the caps should be discharged.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
What's up with the epidemic of people killing their PSUs by blowing out dust lol ?
How exactly it 'went bad' ?
I've used canned air, air compressors, leaf blowers and just about any other means of blowing out dust from a PC, probably in the hundreds and never once has this resulted in a blown up PSU lol.

ASK THE COMMUNITY