Question Cleaned PC with "surgical spirit"

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi,

I cleaned my CPU and it's pins and the motherboard CPU socket earlier today with "surgical spirit." I did not have isopropyl and this stuff seemed the closest to it so I had used it, however when I checked the ingredients, as it contains;

Castor Oil 2.5% v/v, Methyl Salicylate 0.5% v/v. Also contains: Industrial Methylated Spirit 95% v/v, Diethyl Phthalate.

I understand the methylated spirit part, which is denatured alcohol if I'm correct. But now what concerns me that it contains 2.5% of castor oil and I cleaned essential components with this... Should I be worried? It should be dried by now. Should I leave it as it is or clean it again but with isopropyl alcohol if I can obtain it somewhere, here in the UK they rarely stock this in shops, and if they do it's sold as "surgical spirit" and they add weird guff to it like the ingredients list I've mentioned.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The range of conductivity found for castor oil and its esters at temperatures from 30 to 60 7C is 10–9 to 10–12 S/cm, which is considered to be the range of electrical insulation. This result is considered to be a good support to use such materials for antistatic applications

Based on that, you should be ok. I would probably hit it one more time with high % isopropyl just to be sure.

Reactions: xtremexyz
Reactions: dudio and punkncat