[SOLVED] Cleaned the underside of the Cpu, now the gold looks dull.

youdontfeedair

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
So I had 1 dull looking pad on my cpu, and went online to look up how to clean this and it was suggested to use 90% + isopropyl.

I used 99% on this and now there is a section of the pads that is a much more dull gold than the rest of the cpu.

Have I damaged this? I was looking to sell this cpu hence the question.

Any help is appreciated, and here is a pic (tried to capture it well)

View: https://imgur.com/a/cHSYMI3

(top right of the first picture)

Solution
You didn't damage it as far as I can tell--just probably the cloth you used. I would use some crc contact cleaner or a soft pencil eraser and see if that takes off the stain. I usually use a soft pink pencil eraser for polishing/cleaning the cpu and memory contacts and it seems to work well.
You didn't damage it as far as I can tell--just probably the cloth you used. I would use some crc contact cleaner or a soft pencil eraser and see if that takes off the stain. I usually use a soft pink pencil eraser for polishing/cleaning the cpu and memory contacts and it seems to work well.

Solution

youdontfeedair

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Cheers for the reply,

Thats good to hear, i was worried that there might be some kind of film over these that I could have taken off.

I will give that a test and hopefully it will sort the issue.

Cheers for the reply,

Thats good to hear, i was worried that there might be some kind of film over these that I could have taken off.

I will give that a test and hopefully it will sort the issue.
It probably would still work even with the stain as long as there was proper electrical contact. I've seen worse on some of the cpus I've gotten, but I 'erasered' them and they worked great.