Cleaning a laptop by blowing compressed air into the vents.

Apr 21, 2018
Hey! So, my laptop has been really struggling with performance. The CPU's speeds were going REALLY low, as low as 0.2! And, after checking the temps, I noticed that the speed fell when the temperatures rised up.

So, the laptop I have is an ASUS X550LB. It seems pretty hard to disasemble and reasemble, and I know nothing about laptops, so I am too scared to take it apart.

What I am wondering is, will blowing compressed air trough the air vents help? Is it safe? I read that a lot of dust could be built up and if it gets stuck or something it could fry the fan and it would be even worse. The laptop hasn't been cleaned for about 4 years, which is why I'm scared that could happen.

And, if it would be a good idea to clean with compressed air, how much do I need of it?

And I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, if I am tell me the correct place to post this and Ill repost it there!

Thank you for all of your answers in advance!!!

Solution

Without opening it performance will change little to none. If you are not wanting to open it I would suggest taking it to a local pc repair shop and get them to do it or a friend that knows what to do.

The problem is that the dust will just be blown loose and won't be removed from the system. Thus resulting in little better thermals. This laptop is a bit tedious to open since it need to have the frontcover (where the keyboard is) taken off instead of the back like you normally would.

Without opening it performance will change little to none. If you are not wanting to open it I would suggest taking it to a local pc repair shop and get them to do it or a friend that knows what to do.

Solution