Question Cleaning cpu contacts (noob)

May 16, 2019
Hi this is my first post here,

edit: This is my only question now can I use a microfibre cloth dipped in 99% ispo alcohol to clean cpu contacts, will I be in danger of static if I rub the contacts with a microfibre cloth?

I recently tried to install my new i7 4790k into my motherboard and accidentally bent some cpu socket pins (in the motherboard) I have since sold the damaged item and have bought a new motherboard.

I managed to boot into windows with my old motherboard but it crashed and froze permanently after 5 minutes which I’m guessing is due to the cpu socket pins. Have I damaged the cpu in anyway and how likely is it I’ve broken off a capacitor off the bottom by accident?

Since I completely screwed up my last cpu install I’m a bit paranoid and was trying to clean old thermal paste blobs which were on the gold cpu contacts on the bottom with some 70% ispo alcohol wipes. Was this good or bad? Also the wipes seem to have left some tiny fibres I’m not sure how to get rid of them as using the wipes again or a paper towel would leave more fibres. I heard that microfibre cloths can charge up static and coffee filters are abrasive so I worry about using them on the cpu contacts ( I really don’t want to damage anything)

I was thinking of using compressed air to blow the fibres off but I don’t know if that’s a good idea as I’ve heard they can leave water residue and I don’t want to blow a capacitor off by accident. If I hold the cpu upside down will the fibres fall off?

Also can someone recommend or give me a link on amazon where I can buy a cloth which is perfect to dip in 99% ispo alcohol and leaves no lint or fibres at all.

If I leave the tiny fibres from the alcohol wipes there will they go away if I turn the cpu upside down or are they stuck in the contacts(is that possible?) and if I leave them there will they cause any problems for gaming or overclocking/ work at all. I’m kind of worried as I feel like it might ruin the contact between the contacts and the pins when I do finally put my cpu into my new motherboard. I saw a video of someone using q-tips and alcohol to remove residue and thermal paste but I’m scared the ones I use may leave fibres on the bottom.

Sorry for the long badly formatted post, I’m having a little bit of a breakdown right now as I can’t really afford to buy new parts for at least a good couple of months. Thanks for reading.
ITl:dr - how do you remove fibres from cpu contacts safely and make sure the cpu contacts are fibre and residue free.

Last edited:
I have cleaned my CPU contacts , Q6600 with acetone and my T-shirt, sanded down the IHS, still works in my friends PC, also before I've done crazy overclocking on it, 3.6GHz and 1.525V, which is quite high.

You can damage the capacitors by physically hitting it/dropping on hard surface, I dont think soo the socket pins are able to damage the capacitor.

May 16, 2019
I have cleaned my CPU contacts , Q6600 with acetone and my T-shirt, sanded down the IHS, still works in my friends PC, also before I've done crazy overclocking on it, 3.6GHz and 1.525V, which is quite high.

You can damage the capacitors by physically hitting it/dropping on hard surface, I dont think soo the socket pins are able to damage the capacitor.

Did the tshirt not leave any little fibres on the cpu or did it not matter

May 16, 2019
Last edited:
Just blow on the CPU to get rid of those white particles. If they don't just blow off you will need to clean them out, you can just use a microfiber cloth, don't need any cleaning chemicals. You need to take a bit more time setting up the system and reading about how to build it. Seems you are rushing in without fully going over how to build a system and how to install components. Outside of bending the pins, getting thermal paste on the wrong side of the CPU shows not going over instructions properly.

Reactions: Phoenix78
May 16, 2019
Just blow on the CPU to get rid of those white particles. If they don't just blow off you will need to clean them out, you can just use a microfiber cloth, don't need any cleaning chemicals. You need to take a bit more time setting up the system and reading about how to build it. Seems you are rushing in without fully going over how to build a system and how to install components. Outside of bending the pins, getting thermal paste on the wrong side of the CPU shows not going over instructions properly.
Hi thank you for the reply,

I tried blowing out the particles but they don’t seem to move, in my haste I brought these anti static brushes from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FQUC2R2
Will using the small brush also be fine for removing the particles or should I just return it and get the microfibre cloth instead? I don’t really mind about cost I just want to do it safely.

Also you are 100% right I have watched a few videos on how to install a cpu properly and what to do with thermal paste. One thing I’m still confused about is when they drop it into the socket they move it around a bit (wiggle) do I need to wiggle my cpu or can I just leave it, I’ve read on 1 post that the metal holder automatically pushes it into position anyway, but I’m not sure how true that is as I’ve only ever seen it mentioned on that post.

Thank you so much for the help