Question Cleaning DIMM Slot - Contact Cleaner?

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hi,

I've got an old Gigabyte gigabyte z68ap-d3 that's running 12gb (3x4GB) of RAM so I got myself another stick of 4GB of the same part number.

When I popped it in the PC worked for a few minutes then reset and got stuck in a bootloop before being able to enter BIOS.

I managed to get it working again by resetting the CMOS but each time I replace the RAM in that slot it would do it again.

I managed to rule out faulty RAM by swapping them about and isolated it down to the previously unoccupied slot - it does seem to have a bit of "guff" in there so I'm wondering if it's just dirty after being left empty for so long, but I aren't sure about the best way to clean in out.

I do have some WD40 contact cleaner which is designed for cleaning electronics. so just wondering does anyone have any thoughts on using this or other ideas on how to clean the DIMM slot out? It might be completely knackered but it'd be nice to try recover it and get all 16GB working in dual chan.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I would reset the CMOS, that is often an issue with changes. I've used that contact cleaner with good results, just be gentle and obviously leave it powered down for enough time to let it fully evaporate.

Thanks for the reply. I did actually have to pull the CMOS battery out even when I removed the stick from the DIMM Slot that's suspect. Even though I'd taken it out I was stuck in that boot loop. Removing the RAM then pulling CMOS sorts it every time though.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
So I cleaned the slot out with contact cleaner and it's the same. I guess the DIMM slot is just knackered?

The things that puzzles me though is that very first time I put the memory in it booted and almost got to Windows...... Does anyone think that the slot could have actually blown the memory somehow?

Your new ram is not matched well enough with the other sticks(which are not matched either.)
All ram must be managed in the same manner and at the same voltage, speed and cas.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.

My suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a little bit.
Install the new stick and see if it boots.
Sometimes a bit more ram voltage will get things going.

You might also see if there is a motherboard bios update for your motherboard that might address the isue.
Such updates often are for ram and stability issues.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Your new ram is not matched well enough with the other sticks(which are not matched either.)
All ram must be managed in the same manner and at the same voltage, speed and cas.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.

My suggestion is to go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a little bit.
Install the new stick and see if it boots.
Sometimes a bit more ram voltage will get things going.

You might also see if there is a motherboard bios update for your motherboard that might address the isue.
Such updates often are for ram and stability issues.

Hi thanks for the reply. The DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 are both Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (4GBx2) which work fine, and are happily working with the 4GBx1 Crucial BLS4G3D1609DS1S00 in slot 4. I bought the same part number for slot 2 (BLS4G3D1609DS1S00) to make sure it was paired with the same part number on the corresponding slot 4.

I checked the specs and the timings are the same for these two types of RAM at least in theory.

A while ago I disabled XMP I can't remember why now though. I'll go re-enable it and see what happens! I can't get into BIOS though with the latest stick installed so it's hard to fiddle with voltages without clearing CMOS and taking the stick out, fiddling with BIOS, powering off, putting the stick in, failing to boot, clearing CMOS :)

Last edited: