Cleaning my Gefore GTX 690

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
So... I have a gtx 690 which has not been properly cleaned since the card released as I bought the asus version when it came out...

I need to take off the casing and give it a good clean. Can you do this without messing up the thermal pads/paste and which screwdrivers would I need. Any help or links would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Hypogogix

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Sadly the compressed air just throws all of the dust inside the card which can't be good for it. I've seen considerable lumps of dust on the fins and I read somewhere online you can take the casing off from around them in order to get the compressed air in to clean the fins properly but just not sure what screwdriver I'd need.

I know you can dismount the card itself (from the fins and cooling assembly) using a philips head screwdriver to remove the screws from the cardside but when it comes to the casing that goes over them on the other side im not too sure...Looks like one of those hexagonal ones... Not a torque though I don't think...

You're probably right but I paid a fair bit of cash for this card and really want to keep it alive as long as possible. (plus it would put my mind at ease having it clean) lol

Thanks very much for the input =)

You might want to keep some extra thermal compound on hand in case you do separate the heat sink from the GPU chip.

Aug 6, 2019
Can you do this without messing up the thermal pads/paste?
Yes, I think you can. Remove all screws except the ones on the bottom.
(The small ones on the sides are most important)
which screwdrivers would I need?
The 1.5mm and I think 1.3mm hex (imbus) and a tiny starshaped hex (the smallest from my set wasn't small enough)
HTB1_G9.RpXXXXcVXXXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg

2BWkFfi.jpg

Hope this helps,
KoenG