rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I believe there may be utilities that handle that, but if it were me I wouldn't feel comfortable donating any magnetic media. I've just gotten in a habit of smashing the living **** out of hard drives when they're disposed of.

Yep. I do that too.

I take a hammer and make a few deep dents in the casing. I also smash the control board too just for fun.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
All you need is a screw driver and a magnet. You can hang the disks from your rear view mirror like dice. My brother in law worked for the DOD (beltway bandit). They wiped em then opened em up and shredded the disks.

Edit: Truth is a zero write is good for 99% of snoopers. You need some expensive equipment to get erased data. Now if there is any illicit data, then destroy the drive.

I like mine better. More fun and releases stress too.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I have my disks hanging right next to my telephone handset with the cord that plugs into nothing. I am so cool. :sol:

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Unless you get somethings major illegal a basic zero write should work. If you are a business man involved in some insider trading and shady business deals just buy a new hard drive.

I usually donate all my old PCs to my church or a friend. I charge them like $75 which most are more than happy to pay. I simple just go out and buy a new hard drive. I always keep my old hard drives.