Cleaning out computer with air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I apologize if I didn't post this in the right category.

I have a homebuilt system that has gotten pretty dusty inside and I think it is due for a cleaning. I've always cleaned the dust out by taking an air compressor to all the components. I recently heard from someone that this could damage a computer but that seems kind of hard for me to believe. What do you think?

Helltech

Distinguished
There isn't liquid in an air compressor, your thinking of a can of compressed air "the last resort"

Yes its safe I do it all the time, make you set the PSI very low tho, and blow from fairly far away. I'd say 50 PSI.

any one who has used an air compressor KNOWS there can be a great deal of water in the system . All the humidity of the air passing through tends to collect .

its not safe to just use an air line from a compressor unless it has a water trap

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I don't think I have a water trap, but I'm not sure sure what it would look like if I did. I'm going to go ahead and go through with it and set the PSI as you've recommended. Hopefully there won't be any water buildup and everything will work out fine. Thanks you all for your help.

Helltech

Distinguished

Well don't do it and listen to Outlander_04

I've never once had "water" or any substance come out of my air compressor and I've been using it for 5 years, I use it all the time when I'm nailing, and I use it once a month on my computer. Its possible that I have a water trap, it was my father's before he passed away and I started using it.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Water/Moisture is problem with compressed air.
Water vapor (humidity-moisture) enters the air system through the air compressor inlet air filter.
The air compressor sucks in approximately 7 cubic feet of atmospheric air at 0 psig, and that volume of air is compressed into 1 cubic feet of air at 100 psig. The water vapor (humidity-moisture) that was in the 7 cubic feet of atmospheric air is now compressed into 1 cubic feet of compressed air.

There are 3 forms of water in compressed air:
Liquid water
Aerosol (mist)
Vapor (gas)
Any of these forms of moisture can create problems down the road in equipment or may create serious problems in your process or end product today.

Moisture Traps, dehumidifying filters and driers are used to remove moisture.

Do not spin any fan on your system with the air stream.
The fan blades will cause the motor to spin many times faster than they were designed. Bearing damage can be instant.
I use a plastic tube like found on a can of WD-40 to keep the fans from spinning.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Use a couple pieces of paper about 1-2 feet in front on the nozzle to direct airflow, this way and water that is sprayed is caught by the paper the airflow intensity can be controlled better.

Status
Not open for further replies.