[SOLVED] Cleaning pc and ram

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Can you suggest the pros and cons,best way of cleaning motherboard,ram contacts and above part,ram slots,psu with the following methods.
1.brush
2.99% iso propyl alcohol.
3.air compressor
4. compressed air can
5.brush and eraser
6.thinner
7.blower

Solution
Some thoughts on the subject:

Your first line of defense against dirt should be washable filters in any intake fans.
Cleaning inside should then become perhaps an annual thing.
Washable case dust filters might need cleaning each couple of months, if then.

Canned air will do the job, for the most part. But the cans do not last long.
I found that a electric blower will do the job, but they are overly strong so you need to keep it some distance from what you are cleaning.
If you clean fans, you need to immobilize the fans or a strong airflow will spin them up too high and may cause damage. I use a thin screwdriver to keep the blades from spinning during the process.

Dust will stick to parts such as fan blades and no amount of air...

Lutfij

Titan
The key point is to use gentle force when using a brush. As for the compressor, you need to avoid that since they often times have moisture which is bad for the PCB. Thinner is pointless and is the same as isopropyl alcohol. I think you're overthinking the cleaning part...you can do wonders with some gentle sweeping of a brush but you need to disassemble the parts from the case to access those corners to brush dust off.

I just noticed one more bit, why would you want to clean a PSU with isopropyl alcohol/thinner? You have a death wish, kid?

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
I normally would use a brush and a cloth to wet the brush with isopropyl alchohol (99%) and the temperatures drop in CPU (Dont have a dedicated GPU to clean) from 80 degrees to 55 degrees at intel XTU stress testing for 5 minutes. (Found out that my Heatsink was totally clogged up and fan too) + (thermal paste reappling)

Some thoughts on the subject:

Your first line of defense against dirt should be washable filters in any intake fans.
Cleaning inside should then become perhaps an annual thing.
Washable case dust filters might need cleaning each couple of months, if then.

Canned air will do the job, for the most part. But the cans do not last long.
I found that a electric blower will do the job, but they are overly strong so you need to keep it some distance from what you are cleaning.
If you clean fans, you need to immobilize the fans or a strong airflow will spin them up too high and may cause damage. I use a thin screwdriver to keep the blades from spinning during the process.

Dust will stick to parts such as fan blades and no amount of air will completely remove it.
A careful wipe with a cloth will remove all grime that is necessary.
likely a brush is not strong enough to do the job.

Do not try to clean contacts such as ram slots .
Once installed, ram is fine.

I don't know where you can find 99% isopropyl. If you can, good.
I use 92% to clean off thermal paste on the few occasions that I need to remount a cpu cooler.
Paper coffee filters are good for lint free cleaning.

Solution
Imma be really honest. I have been cleaning my PC's with a vacuum cleaner in reverse blowing air out. It's so strong with a small head added to it that I have to stay 4 feet from the case but you should see the dust flying show. After that I just clean my fan, filters and it's done.

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
1.Which is the best way to clean motherboard and ram?
2.Can I use compressed air can on motherboard and ram because it consist of delicate parts like capacitors,resistors and memory modules.
Does the liquid sprayed from the air can(if i sprayed not in straight position) damages this components?
3.if compressed air can is not available then what's the next better option?
4.how to clean the ram slots?

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Can I use compressed air can on motherboard and ram ?

because it consist of delicate parts like capacitors,resistors and memory modules etc

Does the liquid sprayed from the air can(if i sprayed not in straight position) damages this components?

if compressed air can is not available then what's the next better option?

how to clean the ram slots?

Compressed air. Shake it and blow in short bursts, then it will not leak out as liquid. And even that it does not do any harm. Only wait until liquid will dry.

Or if you hate liquid and have deep pockets, buy MetroVac ED-500 or similar electric air duster.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
canned air is designed for electronics. if you lose components from a can of air you had other issues. the liquid is the propellant for the air and if you keep the can upright and use the bendy nozzle to get those odd angles, the propellant will only leak if the can is tilted. the propellant can cause tissue damage in the form of frostbite, so careful.
the propellant will evaporate rapidly at room temp and regular pressures, so count to 30 and your good.