[SOLVED] Cleaning PC Case with Wet Wipes?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

I recently cleaned my PC case with wet wipes and even cleaned the thermal paste of my old CPU with it.

At first I thought it would have been safe after searching google, but when click further in the link it turns out its very bad because the wet wipes contains chemicals used for skins?

I have cleaned the inside of the PC case again using a wet towel and allowed it to dry for a couple of day. I now plan to install a new motherboard with a new CPU (old one was going to be swapped either way). But I'm not sure if it is safe to do so. Will there still be any residues from the wet wipes?

Wet Wipe Used:
https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products...ack-anti-bacterial-cleaning-wipes-20pk-364963

Solution
Thank you.

So will there be any harm to the new motherboard if I already wiped the case again using a wet towel? There may be still some dry residues left in the air vents that I might not be able to clean thoroughly.

Thank You.

Extremely unlikely. It's at the bottom of the list of things for you to worry about.

Much much greater chance of any random component dropping dead at any moment for totally unknown and unpreventable reasons.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I recently cleaned my PC case with wet wipes and even cleaned the thermal paste of my old CPU with it.

At first I thought it would have been safe after searching google, but when click further in the link it turns out its very bad because the wet wipes contains chemicals used for skins?

I have cleaned the inside of the PC case again using a wet towel and allowed it to dry for a couple of day. I now plan to install a new motherboard with a new CPU (old one was going to be swapped either way). But I'm not sure if it is safe to do so. Will there still be any residues from the wet wipes?

Wet Wipe Used:
https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products...ack-anti-bacterial-cleaning-wipes-20pk-364963
Cleaning the case, is very different from cleaning thermal paste. There maybe compounds, like oils that are intended to protect skin in those wipes. That would be less than ideal for cleaning thermal paste. You want something that has no residue. That is why 90% isopropyl alcohol is recommended.
Did you do any harm? Probably not. Why? Because the interference that the residue from the cleaner is probably in the noise for typical thermal cooling situations. EXTREME overclockers or other users at the very edge of maximum performance might see a difference. But a 2C temp delta won't change anything for 99% of users.

Reactions: VERSION_1583
Hi,

Wet Wipe Used:
What's good for baby's bottom doesn't make it good for other things. Yes of course they leave residue.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Cleaning the case, is very different from cleaning thermal paste. There maybe compounds, like oils that are intended to protect skin in those wipes. That would be less than ideal for cleaning thermal paste. You want something that has no residue. That is why 90% isopropyl alcohol is recommended.
Did you do any harm? Probably not. Why? Because the interference that the residue from the cleaner is probably in the noise for typical thermal cooling situations. EXTREME overclockers or other users at the very edge of maximum performance might see a difference. But a 2C temp delta won't change anything for 99% of users.

Thank you.

So will there be any harm to the new motherboard if I already wiped the case again using a wet towel? There may be still some dry residues left in the air vents that I might not be able to clean thoroughly.

Thank You.

Thank you.

Thank You.

Extremely unlikely. It's at the bottom of the list of things for you to worry about.

Much much greater chance of any random component dropping dead at any moment for totally unknown and unpreventable reasons.

Solution