Cleaning the computer using an electric leaf blower - is it safe?

Solution
For me? It depends on the level of 'dirty'. For basic dusting I use a vacuum/blower like this one. Pretty sure it can be found a bit cheaper elsewhere with some looking around.
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MDV-1BA-DataVac-Computer/dp/B00006IAOR

Before that I used a similar small vacuum/blower, it just wasn't a datavac brand. Canned air works fine but prices climbed especially locally and it never seems to last all that long. Either way, vacuum or blower can only do so much. For non critical components like case, panels, fan blades etc I use a microfiber dust cloth (they're lint free). No amount of little air puffs clean completely.

If it's a deep clean like removing all components including the motherboard to clean the...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've used that before nothing wrong with it and much better than spending 20 bucks on a few cans of compressed air every time you clean your PC in my case about twice a year. Their 4 PC's in my house so that would add up quick not counting other peoples that I work on. I use a air compressor and hold the fans still it has a dryer system on it the same compressor I use for painting.

I agree. A leaf blower provides directional airflow, but it's not very well focused. It might also be forceful enough to knock the case over.

I recommend a can of compressed air from the local superstore.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Good point USAFRet! Also, you'd have to maintain a decent distance from the case using the leaf blower, so you may risk damaging your fans (as you can't stop them from spinning). Probably not a huge issue for the odd occasion, but if you made a habit out of this cleaning method, or your system is extremely dirty - you might end up having to replace a fan.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
You might consider one of these. It can also air up your tires and blow dust out of refrigerator coils. About $32.
AbrRPLB.png

FluffyCluck

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
One of the points that the guy raises in the video is a curious subject for me though. Do air compressors really retain moisture that easily in the tanks? Also if you have a friend to help you with this method would you recommend it?

USAFRet

Titan

Air compressors? Yes they do!
They also have a drain plug at the bottom.

I'd much rather use my air compressor than a leaf blower, though. Much finer control.

AS mentioned, a leaf blower does not have enough direction to get ALL of the dust out. It is mostly OK for a heavy dust collection, but you'd still need something a little more directed.
And outside in the parking lot/driveway? What little pebbles are you also kicking up?

If they take in warm air, it's likely to contain more moisture than cool air. Once it gets inside and hits that cold tank, it will cool down. As this happens, moisture may condense on the inner walls of the air tank.

When you say "this method" are you referring to the leaf blower method or the air compressor method? In my opinion, neither is a good way of cleaning out your computer. However, I've never tried to use an air compressor to clean any of my machines. Maybe I'll do a video where I take a not especially valuable machine and blow it out with a compressor and see what happens...

Hopefully I've answered your curiosity.

I think it depends on the air compressor, so long as you're familiar with it and know it's safe. For instance the large air compressor I used to use at an auto shop no way I'd clean my pc with it. It puked enough water through my air tools despite emptying the tank's drains a few times a day. Air coming out of nozzle adapters would intermittently spray a fine mist and would have to dry things off with rags at times.

Someone's home system with nicer driers on them may be a different story. One of those portable air tanks are fine for tires or dusting out refrigerator coils, ac condenser and evaporator fins etc but those things aren't touchy to moisture like pc components are. Another option is to consider a reversible data vac or something.

FluffyCluck

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
I've gotten the answer regarding both questions I asked which is great, thanks alot people! On a side note, what methods do you recommend then, or do you use yourself to clean out dust and dirt from your computer?

For me? It depends on the level of 'dirty'. For basic dusting I use a vacuum/blower like this one. Pretty sure it can be found a bit cheaper elsewhere with some looking around.
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MDV-1BA-DataVac-Computer/dp/B00006IAOR

Before that I used a similar small vacuum/blower, it just wasn't a datavac brand. Canned air works fine but prices climbed especially locally and it never seems to last all that long. Either way, vacuum or blower can only do so much. For non critical components like case, panels, fan blades etc I use a microfiber dust cloth (they're lint free). No amount of little air puffs clean completely.

If it's a deep clean like removing all components including the motherboard to clean the motherboard tray etc, I tend to use a microfiber cloth slightly moistened with a little bit of lcd cleaning spray. It doesn't take much, just something to help any loose dust cling to the cloth rather than fly around. For the motherboard or smaller places I use a few qtips moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Just have to be careful, lots of little sharp bits that like to snag the qtips fibers and quickly make them shed. Another once over with a vac/blower works well. Deep cleans are somewhat rare though, maybe once or twice a year. Just basic dusting and cleaning of dust filters in between times.

Items like cpu coolers or radiators where there's lots of fins, the only way to really get in there and clean it pretty good is to remove the cooler and wash it. With the cooler off and disassembled so the fans are removed nothing is left except the metal. A bit of warm water and light detergent like dishsoap, swish it around, rinse under running water.

If water spots or long drying times are a concern using compressed air, an air compressor (so long as the air isn't saturated with condensation), vac/blower or similar can be used. Blow the majority of the remaining water droplets out of it, maybe a bit of isopropyl alcohol to rinse remaining water away (alcohol evaporates rather quickly and displaces moisture) and a quick blow dry with air. Rather than spend an hour or two letting it dry on its own with a little help the cooler should be dry in 15-20min and ready to use.

Solution