[SOLVED] Cleaning Thermalpaste after 4 days of application?

firatkonuslu

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
Hi I build 4 days ago a new Pc. After 4 days I bought a new cpu cooler, I removed the stock fan, but I forgot to clean the paste that I applied, and applied a new paste over the old one. Was it necessary even after 4 days to clean the thermalpaste before applying the new one? Should I disconnect the fan clean the cpu and apply the paste again. Or is it ok to leave it.

Solution
On the one hand, if all is working well, do not fix a problem you do not have.

OTOH, do it right.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol(70%-92%) and a lint free coffee paper filter.
Use only a small rice sized drop which will spread out under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is not good. It will act as an insulator. The closer you get to metal to metal contact the better.
D

Deleted member 2838871

I'm guilty of doing the same thing and not reapplying the paste... and never had a problem.

YMMV.

On the one hand, if all is working well, do not fix a problem you do not have.

OTOH, do it right.
Clean off the old paste with alcohol(70%-92%) and a lint free coffee paper filter.
Use only a small rice sized drop which will spread out under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is not good. It will act as an insulator. The closer you get to metal to metal contact the better.

Solution

firatkonuslu

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
Thank you for all your answers. I cleaned it, and repasted.
I had in the first time difficulties in building the enourmous dark rock pro 4 that’s why I was a bit lazy to do it again, but the second time, as having the experience the rebuild was not painful at all. So, that was the guaranteed way although the temp weren’t bad before, I still went the cautious way.