Question Cleaning Tv and human static electric shock question

Nov 9, 2021
Hi.

Didnt knew where to post this.
I have a 55 LG oled tv and it have a metal frame. I have got a small static electric shock by touthing/cleaning it over the last couple years.
And i now come to think about if this could lead to some issues, i have now started to plug out the power cable before cleaning, but i havent removed all the connected units from the hdmi ports, could this affect the connected units? Is it enough to just pull out the tv power cable and not the connected units like pc/console?

I have heard that this human electric statistic shock is very bad for electronic.
But a tv should also be enough grounded inside to not take damage from outside by toutching it?

Thanks for information around this

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When cleaning any electrical device, you're advised to either disconnect it's power from the wall and/or battery then drain all of it's power or to simply disconnect from the wall. Residual charge could still migrate from one device to the other which is why you're also advised to disconnect from all devices...including power input.

As this is a static charge built up by you being discharged to the TV I would leave the TV plugged in. With a metal casing to the TV it will for safety be connected to ground/earth when the TV is plugged in. By discharging straight to ground/earth should be safe.

If you were handling the internal components then static discharge could cause damage. But the external frame connected to ground/earth should be no problem.

Nov 9, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When cleaning any electrical device, you're advised to either disconnect it's power from the wall and/or battery then drain all of it's power or to simply disconnect from the wall. Residual charge could still migrate from one device to the other which is why you're also advised to disconnect from all devices...including power input.

Hello and thank you!
Yes that would be a good advice, would like to disconnect everything from tv everytime i wipe it with a dry clouth, but also dont think anyone really does this? Im talking about risk to damage the units now, not me getting any shock from the unit itself. But thats very important too offcorse, always using dry cloths never wet just in case.

Nov 9, 2021
As this is a static charge built up by you being discharged to the TV I would leave the TV plugged in. With a metal casing to the TV it will for safety be connected to ground/earth when the TV is plugged in. By discharging straight to ground/earth should be safe.

If you were handling the internal components then static discharge could cause damage. But the external frame connected to ground/earth should be no problem.

Yes what i did was leaving the power cable inside a surge protector with button on, so i swithced the power off for the unit ( its like a splice Line with 4 outlets) the unit people use to get more outlet in a line if i spelled it right, would it get ground that way even the power button was switched off on it?