cleaning up query

If I go to run and type %temp% I get the list of files in that directory.

Can I safely delete all of those files?

Mel

MB_ wrote:

> If I go to run and type %temp% I get the list of files in that directory.
>
> Can I safely delete all of those files?

It's usually safe to delete temp files that are dated
*prior* to the current date.

There's always a chance that the system is using one,
or more, of the files during the current session.

Notan

If the system is using a .temp file, it will not allow you to delete it.

Jay Davenport wrote:

> If the system is using a .temp file, it will not allow you to delete it.

It doesn't have to be using the file *at that moment,*
in order to be using it during that session.

Some programs refer "back-and-forth" to temp files.

Notan

I use the %temp% command all the time and always delete any files
that are listed. Never any problems.

Notan wrote:
> MB_ wrote:
>
>>If I go to run and type %temp% I get the list of files in that directory.
>>
>>Can I safely delete all of those files?
>
> It's usually safe to delete temp files that are dated
> *prior* to the current date.
>
> There's always a chance that the system is using one,
> or more, of the files during the current session.

In which case Windows won't let you delete it. IMHO this is one of the
safest Windows' tips around, i.e., clean up temp files. I have a small
REXX program which runs at startup to delete TEMP stuff, as well as BK!,
BAK, Mozilla\CACHE, IE's TempInternet Files, etc.

TRENDING THREADS