Clear ram cache?

May 8, 2018
I was wondering if there was any way to use your memory cache as dram / lowering its size? I just finished a ryzen 3 2200g build and I’m trying to get the most ram possible while allocating 2g to the igpu.My computer uses 1,4 gb ram for the cache and I thought I’d ask for help.

This is my first build and I’m kinda lost.

Solution
cache drops itself as soon as something else needs this memory. If you force anything it will not be optimal moment for this drop and OS will need to reach HDD/SSD again for a lot of things. In general CACHE on ram is managed nicely most of the times.
even if you DID mean windows permanently used memory, then you cannot do anything except being angry on windows :) from any amount they will always use ~25% at start, just because you need 3d printer buffer (i know you don't have 3d printer, but windows will keep this kind of service nonetheless). you can kill 1/3 of them, but expect a lot of bluescreens if you kill wrong ones.
cache drops itself as soon as something else needs this memory. If you force anything it will not be optimal moment for this drop and OS will need to reach HDD/SSD again for a lot of things. In general CACHE on ram is managed nicely most of the times.
even if you DID mean windows permanently used memory, then you cannot do anything except being angry on windows :) from any amount they will always use ~25% at start, just because you need 3d printer buffer (i know you don't have 3d printer, but windows will keep this kind of service nonetheless). you can kill 1/3 of them, but expect a lot of bluescreens if you kill wrong ones.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Unused memory is a waste of an expensive resource and all modern OSes use spare memory as a file system cache to make excess memory do something useful instead of doing absolutely nothing. If applications need more memory, the OS will drop the least recently used stuff from the cache and downsize it accordingly to free up RAM.

BTW, there is no benefit to reserving more memory for the IGP: whenever you need more memory for the IGP than what you reserved, the IGP will fetch textures from user-land memory and since it comes from the same physical memory, there is little to no performance penalty from doing so. The only time where this may be necessary is if you run into a game that outright refuses to launch when the (I)GPU reports less than XXXXMB of VRAM.

TRENDING THREADS