Question Cleared CMOS, now computer has no display

Mar 5, 2021
Hello,
This might be a long explaination, I apologise in advance.
I have had my PC for maybe 5 years. The specs are as follows:
  • Gigabyte 990FX motherboard
  • 3070 graphics card
  • AMD 8150 CPU
  • Crucial 16GB RAM
  • 650 watt PSU
  • 2 SSDs and one disk drive
  • Dual display
Let me know if you need any other info.

My problem is that my PC won't display anything. I was trying to play half life Alyx and I got a notification that I didn't have the minimum amount of memory. I had played through the entire campaign before and never saw this, so I investigated. My system info said I had 16 gigs of available RAM, but only about 8 was useable.

In searching for ways to remedy this I found that there are certain settings in BIOS that might help. But for some reason I couldn't access BIOS in any way. I read that clearing CMOS might allow you to access BIOS, so I did that. When I got the battery and my graphics card back in, my computer stopped displaying anything.

I have done the following to try to fix it:
-checked all connections in case
-tried booting with just one stick of RAM in varying slots
-got a new CMOS battery

I think my graphics card is fine. I got it only a couple months ago and it has been working fine since then. I don't think my mobo has an internal GPU so I can't connect my display direct. Everything seems to turn on. All of the fans come on. The heat sink gets warm. The GPU lights up and gets warm.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

650W is the wattage. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age? You need to be specific as to which 990FX motherboard from Gigabyte you have. FYI, that platform with the RTX3070 only makes for a nice toasty oven, I think the board might've died or the PSU or both. Your details on parts would give us some more light.

Mar 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

650W is the wattage. What is the make and model of the unit and it's age? You need to be specific as to which 990FX motherboard from Gigabyte you have. FYI, that platform with the RTX3070 only makes for a nice toasty oven, I think the board might've died or the PSU or both. Your details on parts would give us some more light.
Thank you!
The mobo is the 990FXa UD3.
The PSU is the Corsair CX650