Clearing CMOS is the Only Way to Turn on My Computer?

tondrew

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am putting together my PC, but I have come into a big problem - my PC will not turn on and it will refuse to stay on. When I press the power button on my PC or the power switch on my motherboard, my PC will not turn on. However, when I use a flat-head screwdriver to short the CLR_CMOS on my motherboard, the system (i.e., LEDs, fans, PSU, CPU fan, etc.) will turn on perfectly... For a split second. After that, it goes back to blank. .

Here are my specs:
-EVGA Supernova Nex650G - PSU
-EVGA GeForce GTX 950 - video card
-i7-3770k - CPU (LGA1155)
-Hyper EVO 212 - CPU Cooler
-Kingston SSDNow V300 - SSD
-Western Digital 1TB Blue - HDD
-Gigabyte GA-77X-UD3H - motherboard
-G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4 GB - RAM

Again, everything works just fine when I short the CMOS, but only for a split second. I've done the paperclip test and my PSU works just fine. Also, there are no loose screws or parts in my build.

I'm at a loss right now and I don't know what to do. I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Syftelurth

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Make sure no extra screws or offsets on your case are shorting your mobo (like an extra offset touching the back of your mobo).

So does your mobo boot when you reset your CMOS? What do you mean exactly by "it works for a split second"?

tondrew

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

No extra offsets touching the back of my mobo.

Yes, my mobo boots when I reset the CMOS. When I say it works for a split second, I mean that all of the LEDs and fans turn on/spin for a split second, but then it'll just stop in the next moment. It's really strange, but it just works on second and the next, it doesn't.