[SOLVED] Clearing Confusion Esta vs. Sata & Finding a Decent PCI Esata Card

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hi Gang

I'm inquiring regarding a Dell Precision 3620 i7 7700K and trying to locate a reliable #4 Port PCI Esata Card. The purpose is to connect #4 externally powered non-raid enclosed drives to read, write and transfer data. I got confused from an illustration showing a low priced $$ card connected to a storage drive (via internal bracket). My internal Sata ports are already occupied ...

For my purposes these are the wrong cards and the wrong cables:
The Wrong Card

The Wrong Cables

For my purposes these could potentially be the right card and the right cables:
Potentially Correct Card
Correct Cable

For others this is perhaps not an issue? Unfortunately (for me), aside from my Mac Desktops, trying to find a reliable #4 Port PCI Esata Card (non-raid set up), remains a challenge when using a PC with Windows 10. Despite glowing praise from certain contributors on the Dell Forum, I see numerous negative reviews regarding HighPoint Rocket PCI cards. They rarely work correctly ..

Any other suggestions?
Thanks so much ...
Mike

Solution
A few suggestions.

1. The Ableconn PEX-SA 134 you linked does appear suitable. Small point on that: it uses PCIe Gen2, but can work with Gen3 that your mobo has. This MAY impact max data transfer rate, but maybe not. The FebSmart card is designed for Gen3.
  2. Both require an x4 PCIe slot which you have. Is it open to use in your system? One of them says you should have at least one x16 slot, but that is only to ensure that your system CAN operate an x4 or x8 slot properly - you do NOT need to use an x16 slot for the card, although you could.
  3. The negative review by Paul White points out a warning not immediately obvious, and then says he can NOT access the card BIOS using the CTRL-M keypress specified, so he can't check for this...

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hello again USAF

The data stored on the externally enclosed and externally powered drives encompases just about everything: Video, Text, etc. So yes I could definitely use the speed offered by easta. They work great (when you find the right combination).

Why Focus on Esata? As I indicated (although I have 4 internal Sata Ports) on the motherboard, all but one are occupied: System Drive, 2 Optical Drives etc...

Thank You

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hi again Titan ....

Thank you but I already have the enclosures. Dozens of em: Dual Bay esata and powered 'OWC'

That Star Tech card is only a 'Two Port' (I need four ports)

Could you confirm that the FebSmart-Expansion-System-ASMedia-Controller (link above) I just bought off amazon is in fact NOT what I need. I believe it was intended for internal SATA, not Esata ... Its unopened and I'd like to send it back ...

Thank You ... 😊
Mike

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
This one does have good reviews (except for one warning): written by Paul A. White (see the reviews). I don't totally understand his statement except the part about adjusting the Bios in order to recognize the card?

Ableconn PEX-SA134 4-Port eSATA

Honestly, (other than High Point), which I'd like to avoid, I can't seem to find any other esata 4 port recent cards on Amazon which have generally good reviews?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A few suggestions.

1. The Ableconn PEX-SA 134 you linked does appear suitable. Small point on that: it uses PCIe Gen2, but can work with Gen3 that your mobo has. This MAY impact max data transfer rate, but maybe not. The FebSmart card is designed for Gen3.
  2. Both require an x4 PCIe slot which you have. Is it open to use in your system? One of them says you should have at least one x16 slot, but that is only to ensure that your system CAN operate an x4 or x8 slot properly - you do NOT need to use an x16 slot for the card, although you could.
  3. The negative review by Paul White points out a warning not immediately obvious, and then says he can NOT access the card BIOS using the CTRL-M keypress specified, so he can't check for this problem. In another review by Lee Crawford this item is addressed in his Paragraph 4. He advises not a simple CTRL-M, but repeated pressings of this combo until it works. Further, if it only gets you into main mobo BIOS, you missed it and must try again. I have had a very similar issue just getting into mobo BIOS Setup. It appears that, during the mobo POST process, it may NOT "see" any single keyboard press while doing other things. So I have a habit of just holding down the DEL key to enter BIOS Setup until it gets to its opening screen. You could try that technique with the CTRL-M combo to get to this card's BIOS. NOTE that Crawford also says this still will not work if there is NO drive connected to the card - apparently that configuration causes an error in the card's own POST so it does not respond correctly.
  4. The FebSmart card page you linked on Amazon contains TWO different card models. The simpler one is for an x1 slot of PCIe and has 4 ports, but that x1 slot is certainly much slower than an x4 slot. The other card has six ports and fits into an x4 slot that uses four lanes of PCIe, so it can transfer data much faster. THAT is your preferred model of the FebSmart pair.
  5. The Ableconn card is fitted with four female sockets on the back panel for eSATA cables. That's ideal. The FebSmart cards are fitted with six (or four) SATA sockets on the inside. So you would need a way to convert those internal SATA sockets to rear panel eSATA sockets. Electrically that is VERY probably done already. The major difference between SATA and eSATA ports is in the connector mechanical configuration and in the voltages used for the signal line - eSATA uses higher voltages and some validation checks to ensure reliable data transfer over longer signal cables from the internal SATA controller to an external device. But for over a decade now virtually all SATA Controller chips have used basically eSATA signalling techniques for all work, so any normal mobo SATA port CAN be used as a real eSATA port if you simply convert the mechanical shape of the connector. I have done that with my machine for an external HDD enclosure. How to do that? These adapter plates
https://www.amazon.com/Aexit-Distribution-Bracket-Connector-Connectors/dp/B07L9P3WQ5/ref=sr_1_17?crid=G2UYPN3B89D2&keywords=SATA+to+eSATA+adapter+plate&qid=1654184788&sprefix=sata+to+esata+adapter+plate,aps,92&sr=8-17

each can plug into two of the SATA sockets on the internal card and convert them to two rear-panel eSATA ports. So two of these (IF you have two empty rear panel PCIe slots available) - or even three for all six ports - does your conversion. Alternatively, this adapter plate

https://www.amazon.com/CoolGear-Internal-External-eSATA-Bracket/dp/B004G9V4NI/ref=sr_1_15?crid=G2UYPN3B89D2&keywords=SATA+to+eSATA+adapter+plate&qid=1654185038&sprefix=sata+to+esata+adapter+plate,aps,92&sr=8-15

would let you use the regular SATA cables that come with the FebSmart card to connect four of its ports to the adapter plate, producing four eSATA external ports. This route uses only one rear slot, but it adds one extra connection point in each line, a possible (but uncommon) source of trouble.

I have no basis for making any comments on the relative reliability and performance of those cards. I'm just commenting on what connections are possible when you choose one or the other.

Reactions: Coast Guard
Solution

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hello Paperdoc!

My apologies for not replying earlier. Your post is MOST thorough and much appreciated.

Thank you again for your generosity in the time you devoted to my question!

My Best
Mike

TRENDING THREADS