Clevo Announces Laptop With GeForce GTX 480M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]calling it a "480"M is pure deception, since the performance will come nowhere near the 480 desktop version[/citation]

Yes both ATI and Nvidia are doing this but at least it is based on the 400 series core and not just a rebranded G92 with 200 series label.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]babachoo[/nom]HAHAHA You can get a Asus G73 with a HD 5870, which plays Crysis better than the 480, for only $1199 at Best Buy. Fermi could not fail any harder.[/citation]I can't believe anyone was guilable enough to give you the thumbs up for mentioning that weak solution. Mobility 5870 is after all a desktop 57xx GPU. One that gets stomped on by a G92 GPU, no less!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/avadirect-clevo-w860cu-mobility-radeon-hd-5870,2615.html
As for playing Crysis...um... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/avadirect-clevo-w860cu-mobility-radeon-hd-5870,2615-9.html
Epic failure

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Yes, everyone is aware that laptop graphics cards are not as powerful as their corresponding desktop cards wearing the same numbers. The mobility 5870 is somewhere between a desktop 5750 and 5770, and the gtx 480m is comparable to a desktop gtx 465. Nvidia has of course been the most deceptive, albeit the lesser of two evils. They rebranded 8800's for how many years? :D

And as for your links, they aren't anywhere close to being an accurate comparison of two completely identical machines playing games with the only variable being the mobility 5870 and the gtx 480m cards. If, however, you visit http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html, and select only the m5870 and gtx480m, you'll see that their performance is pretty much identical in real world gameplay, with the two cards winning different benchmarks of different games by extremely tight margins, but mostly being pretty much even. My point still stands that the $1199 Asus G73 from Best Buy is the most bang for the buck when it comes to top end (yet accessible) gaming laptops. The people who thumbed me up know that it would be rediculous to pay $2915 for the same performance. Go configure this laptop with a 500GB HDD, 6GB RAM, wireless and bluetooth, and with a gtx480m, so that it's the same performance as the G73, and you'll see $2915 as the price. Please tell my why you're defending a machine that is equal to another laptop that sells for $1716 less. I could literally buy TWO G73's and still have $517 in my pocket, for the same price as this crap laptop from Clevo.

Methinks my point is still valid and you wouldn't be defending this $3000 laptop unless you were getting paid to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No, they compare otherwise identical Mobility 5870 and GTX 285M notebooks. Where the G92 notebook outpowers the Mobility 5870 in most games! If the G92 outperforms a Mobility 5870, I have a hard time recommending the newer, slower architecture to gamers. Even more specifically, he SAID it would play Crysis, where the links show it obviously does not play Crysis at acceptable settings.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

The link I posted clearly shows that the 480 and 5870 play crysis at nearly identical frames.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2449/crysisp.jpg

You just like to argue. I wonder if someone is paying you to argue though. I'll take my g73 over the clevo and save myself $1700 any day of the week, and play games with equal overall performance. I'm just wondering who is paying you to try and make a $3000 laptop look like a more logical choice compared to a $1199 laptop that is just as good.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And who's paying you for this diversion? The man said it could play Crysis. It can't. I proved it can't, and that sounds like a two-way conversation to me. So who's being argumentative?

Once again, here's the proof that the guy was just blowing smoke to trick people into buying a machine that can't do what he claims, which is something that irritates me greatly: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/avadirect-clevo-w860cu-mobility-radeon-hd-5870,2615-9.html

Let me reiterate: I'm not making any arguments in favor of anything, I'm only stating the fact that Tom's Hardware's testing proves that the Mobility 5870 is inadequate for that particular task. You can use that information any way you wish. In fact, you might even need a Desktop to play Crysis at adequate settings. I simply can't tolerate the blatantly obvious untruth I saw in his response, and am saddened that anyone would give him the "thumbs up" for stating such blatant untruth.

You obviously just like to argue and have no interest in looking at any evidence I've posted. You should go watch the fireworks or something, rather than waste your time picking fights.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

You obviously just like to argue and have no interest in looking at any evidence I've posted. I'm off to watch fireworks, enjoy trying to find someone else to argue with for the rest of the night.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
@Crashman

That's real cute how you edited your last post 2 hours after I responded to it, and basically said what I said. You did it because most people aren't even aware you can edit news comments and do not view them in forum thread form and therefore will not see any edits made. It shows how immature you are, which is pathetic considering you look like a 50 year old man in your avatar. I quoted your entire post and responded to it, then you sneak in like a ninja 2 hours later and make it look like you told me what to do. It just boggles my mind that you have nothing better to do on July 4th than to act like a child on the internet. I wish you well, you should seek help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It says at the bottom of the post that it's been edited. But if you read the rest of the post, it's all valid information that will help you understand the destructive path you've been following. The guy said the Mobility 5870 is good for Crysis, which it isn't, and that's the only thing my original response pointed out.

Now that we have real 480M data, we can see that even that solution isn't truly adequate for Crysis. Hopefully Alienware's recent Mobility 5870 CrossFire solution will finally solve the "Crysis on a Notebook" crisis, but once again that's not the hardware that was mentioned in the post to which I originally responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.