Question Clevo P870TM1-G

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
There is an extra 4-pin fan connector on the motherboard and I have seen people with custom bottom trays with fan installed to replace the stock bottom tray. No amount of googling leads me where to find one though. Are the ones that exist only homemade? Anyone here know?

Most cases these days have fan locations in the bottom of the case. Usually, nobody uses them because in most cases the power supply is too long and the cabling interferes with the use of a fan in that location. As far as any kind of "custom" tray, or even a home brewed version, I've never seen that and I pretty vigorously visit the custom mod forums across the web as well as the majority of case and cooling related major threads across most of the premier tech sites.

Maybe if you had a pic for clarification that might help.

Of more importance is probably, what is your case model, how many fans are you currently running, what configuration and orientation are they in, what kind of CPU cooler are you running, what is your power supply model (For length purposes) and what do you hope to gain by having a fan in the bottom of the case aside from just having an additional intake?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
This is for the Clevo P870TM1-G laptop, which has a bottom that is attached with screws that I have seen replaced with a custom bottom that has a fan for additional airflow.

lN8cH5K.png

Yeah, that's a different story isn't it? LOL. My bad for not paying attention to the title.

Have you contacted Clevo, to ask them? They are a pretty customer oriented company considering the price of their products, and in my experience are pretty helpful with questions and concerns. IF there is such a part available, I'd think they'd know better than anybody. If they don't know, then what you've seen is almost certainly something that was home brewed/custom mod by whoever had it. That extra fan header is likely for models that come with discreet graphics adapters. I'd make sure that the diode it is monitoring is in fact tied to either CPU or motherboard thermals rather than being there for use with a gaming adapter because if it is, it may require a specific BIOS image to be functional OR may not function as expected without a graphics card installed.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, that's a different story isn't it? LOL. My bad for not paying attention to the title.

Have you contacted Clevo, to ask them? They are a pretty customer oriented company considering the price of their products, and in my experience are pretty helpful with questions and concerns. IF there is such a part available, I'd think they'd know better than anybody. If they don't know, then what you've seen is almost certainly something that was home brewed/custom mod by whoever had it. That extra fan header is likely for models that come with discreet graphics adapters. I'd make sure that the diode it is monitoring is in fact tied to either CPU or motherboard thermals rather than being there for use with a gaming adapter because if it is, it may require a specific BIOS image to be functional OR may not function as expected without a graphics card installed.

I will contact to see if they have any info.

The strange part is, is that I already have SLI graphics both with fans from the factory and my CPU also has a fan. There is just a 4th fan connector next to the CPU that is not used. Maybe it is possible that the same board is used elsewhere with a different bios that does make use of it?

Are you SURE it's a fan connector, and not meant for something else? Does it SAY it's a fan connector? Is it keyed? Is there a designation printed next to it? Could be for something else entirely OR as you say, for a different or higher tiered model that uses the same board but has additional cooling options.