Click of Death in less then a year, normal sectors

Jul 2, 2018
I bought an Alienware 17' R4 last year in October, 4 months away, and yet, my hard drive is already screwed up (possibly).

Can someone tell me if thats even possible after such a short amount of time?

I've checked all my sectors in every way possible, through disk checking, scanning for damaged sectors, etc. The sectors are completely healthy in every way I've been able to see.

The click is still there though.

Can someone tell me if it's something else and if I'm just freaking out? It did this about 2 weeks ago but hasn't done it again till today, absolutely NO data has been deleted or has disappeared at all.

I am on a laptop of course, and I don't really have a screw-driver to open the laptop up and take a look. It just keeps freaking me out. Is there a way to know for sure without cracking open the laptop?

I'm hoping it could be my speakers or something else, maybe my fan.

Both times, it's lasted less then 2 hours and stopped.

Should also mention I checked my S.M.A.R.T. data via command prompt, as well as third party software, and neither of which found any issue at all.

Solution
It could be, here is better explanation, hdd has inner circle ( closest to middle of hdd) , middle circle, and outer circlr ( furthest from middle).
As you installed windows its closest to middle, as you install stuff it installs from inner circle then towards to outer as outer circle is slowest.
Now if you delete data from middle, the needle has to jump from inner to outer and that makes the famous "click".

Well I wouldnt rule out that HDD is good since new hdd shouldnt be that loud.
Take it as it is under warranty and back up as Math Geek said.
Well my 10 year old hdd clicks and it has no damaged sectors, no blue screens, nothing, well if you are scared or paranoid if its under warranty send it back/take it back.

Oh i forgot to mention, hdd has disc, the hdd spins and the needle reads, its same way of burning dvd, if you burn dvd and delete middle of the circle it stays clear with no data and the head (which reads data) has to jump from inner circle to outer and that makes clicking sound, download auslogics disk defrag and run full defrag and optimize, and it should move files closer to another.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
first thing is to be sure any data is backed up you don't want to lose. never know what is going on and better safe than sorry.

running all the tests is a good idea but may also be the straw that breaks the camels back. if it is still under warranty i'd look into that option. no reason you have to listen to a loud hdd whether it works or not. may work for another 10 years fine but may work another week and then die for good. why risk it if the fix is free :)

a clicking hdd is a unique sound and nothing else makes it. so if that's what you hear, then that's what it is.

Jul 2, 2018

Sorry I'm not so good at tech talk.

So basically you're saying, it could be clicking for no reason, but don't rule it out?

It could be, here is better explanation, hdd has inner circle ( closest to middle of hdd) , middle circle, and outer circlr ( furthest from middle).
As you installed windows its closest to middle, as you install stuff it installs from inner circle then towards to outer as outer circle is slowest.
Now if you delete data from middle, the needle has to jump from inner to outer and that makes the famous "click".

Well I wouldnt rule out that HDD is good since new hdd shouldnt be that loud.
Take it as it is under warranty and back up as Math Geek said.

Solution