Question Clicking and popping noise from speakers.

Aug 22, 2019
So I've seen a bunch of threads about this topic and it seems to be that all of them are by case because I've tried nearly everything I've came upon through research to no avail. I will do my best to give all the details I can think of but feel free to yell at me if I get it wrong.

Version: 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Motherboard: GA-870A-USB3
System Type: x64 based
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Processor: AMD Phenom II 1055T 2800 mhz 6 core
BIOS Version: Award Software International, Inc. F5h, 6/26/2013
RAM: 20 GB
Audio interface: Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen USB connected
I am connected to JBL studio monitors from the outputs of the audio interface.
DAW: Cubase 10 Elements if it matters.
PSU: XON-700P12N bought in 2012.

I just installed a new 250GB SSD that was upgraded from a failing 1TB HDD. Reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. I have tried turning up the buffer size with my Focusrite driver. I've tried uninstalling the Focusrite driver and reinstalling. As far as I can tell the driver is working. I noticed when I reinstalled windows that Realtek was not showing up so I went to the Microsoft update page and downloaded it. It is now installed with updated drivers. I have tried swapping to every possible USB connection combination there is. I'm running into a wall with my troubleshooting abilities, compiled with what information is already out there. It may be worth noting that I have a TV plugged into my HDMI port on the graphics card and when using for playback I get no clicks or pops.

I think I have ruled out that my audio interface or speakers aren't working properly, as my laptop runs them just fine with no problems. Do I need a new motherboard or am I missing something?

PS: I should have mentioned that I attempted to install an AMD FX 8350 processor and got no BIOS when I would try to boot. If the processor is the issue, I have the upgrade, I just lack the proper knowledge to get it installed correctly. And before I'm told about the thermal paste and installation basics of a processor...I reinstalled it about 6 times. My old processor works fine, but the new one will not.

EDIT: I have since successfully updated my BIOS from F4 to F5h and there is no change.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently on? If you tried and failed with the FX-8350, I'd say, good, since that board is not meant to be paired with that processor.

You shouldn't be running that platform with the latest OS, simply because Windows 10 is reliant on BIOS updates to ensure stability. The issue you're speaking of can also come about with improper drivers for your audio. How are you connected to the interface from your system?

If anything you're going to need a new platform, since pretty much all prior gen hardware equipped with Realtek audio chips have been affected by lack of proper audio output. To add, if you're hooked up to the interface using the USB port, you're issue is not with the Realtek audio chip , rather that of the USB ports and probably that the fuses on the board are giving up. You also might want to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Aug 22, 2019
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently on? If you tried and failed with the FX-8350, I'd say, good, since that board is not meant to be paired with that processor.

You shouldn't be running that platform with the latest OS, simply because Windows 10 is reliant on BIOS updates to ensure stability. The issue you're speaking of can also come about with improper drivers for your audio. How are you connected to the interface from your system?

If anything you're going to need a new platform, since pretty much all prior gen hardware equipped with Realtek audio chips have been affected by lack of proper audio output. To add, if you're hooked up to the interface using the USB port, you're issue is not with the Realtek audio chip , rather that of the USB ports and probably that the fuses on the board are giving up. You also might want to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

OS version is 10.0.18362 Build 18362 and my PSU is XON-700P12N bought in 2012. As stated earlier, I have tried connecting to every USB port on board. The USB 3.0 connections were the best sound quality but still had slight cracks, but the driver for my interface doesn't fully operate when connected to 3.0. My control panel WILL NOT load. But if I'm connected to 2.0 my control panel will load, but the cracks come back.

By platform, do you mean the motherboard? And if so, could you please help me find a proper motherboard with equal amount of PCI and PCIe hookups, RAM slots, and compatible with the FX 8350. I searched this processor and I think it was on newegg.com that said it was compatible. Either way, I need to upgrade a motherboard from the sound of it, and if that's the case I could use a professional opinion on what I should get so I don't end up in the same boat.