[SOLVED] Clicking, crackling sound when NO load on PSU. Goes away WITH load.

Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

My PSU is making buzzing, clicking noise when there is no load.

The sound is the highest when unplugged from motherboard (not the fan)

The sounds reduced when the PC is running, and almost goes away when I charge my phone or when the USBs are delivering power.

I dont see any acrs on the PSU board, seems to be coming from one of the transformers.

Any thoughts?

Solution
180w? I haven't seen a PC with that small of a power supply in MANY YEARS. The biggest problem here is that the PSU is probably proprietary and can't easily be replaced by an aftermarket power supply because the form factor (Height, width, length) is almost certainly not standard nor is the power cable to board connector likely to be standard.

It's possible though. Knowing the exact model number of the PSU would be helpful. Should be on the label on one of the sides of the PSU. I don't think there are really any other options aside from replacement and if it is not a standard form factor and connector then you'll probably need to go with an original HP replacement although it's possible there might be a replacement model with a...
Sep 13, 2022
This is probably either some form of coil whine or there is a relay or something else dying. What is the model of this power supply and how old is it?
Its HP EliteDesk 800 G3 has 180W power supply, bought it in 2020. Recently noticed this when I upgraded HDD to SSD.
Originally, I thought the noise was my HDD, it sounds similar.
The PC is stock, no GPU.

180w? I haven't seen a PC with that small of a power supply in MANY YEARS. The biggest problem here is that the PSU is probably proprietary and can't easily be replaced by an aftermarket power supply because the form factor (Height, width, length) is almost certainly not standard nor is the power cable to board connector likely to be standard.

It's possible though. Knowing the exact model number of the PSU would be helpful. Should be on the label on one of the sides of the PSU. I don't think there are really any other options aside from replacement and if it is not a standard form factor and connector then you'll probably need to go with an original HP replacement although it's possible there might be a replacement model with a somewhat higher capacity which probably wouldn't be the worst idea even though it probably doesn't need more power. Either way, probably going to need the model and then find a replacement either on Amazon or Ebay unless it's still available through HP.

HP is always more expensive though. Model would be helpful.

If it didn't make the noise when not connected to the motherboard I'd say there might be other possible culprits but the fact that it does it when not connected leaves only the PSU unless there is a problem with your wall outlet or power strip.

If using a power strip, try plugging directly into the wall socket. If not using a power strip, try plugging it into an outlet that is on a different breaker than the one currently being used, just to be sure.

Solution
Sep 13, 2022
Yeah, I didn't expect it to be that low power. I would understand if the PSU buzzed when its on load, but this is the other way around. Seems like its built to perform is a small power range for optimum efficiency.
I connected PSU directly to socket, tried multiple after seeing your comment, it still behaved the same.

I would not be surprised if HP cheaped out on this. Some kinda electronic harmonics between the capacitor and transformer seems to be the case. Anyway, I put back the HDD and the noise reduced drastically.

Thanks for the reply. I'll just stick with it, if it breaks I'll salvage whatever I can, probably not worth the upgrade.