[SOLVED] Clicking noise after shutting down pc

satellizer

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
Hi

After shutting down my pc, I get this clicky noise from my pc, very likely the PSU? It kinda sounds like putting an electric wire against the wall of the case..This happens from 2-3 to 5-6 times or sometimes more for 4-5 minutes of shutting down the pc. (Do note the plug is still on - i use a surge protector.)

Anything I need to be worried about?

Solution
Next time you shut down and the noise begins, switch off the PSU at the back of the case and listen if the clicking noise continues or stops. Depending on how long the noise usually lasts, you may want to even press the start button immediately after turning off the PSU to drain any charge remaining. Trying to isolate if the noise is simply metal cooling or something electrical.

Might also want to check if you see any bloated capacitors on the motherboard.

Do you have another PSU available to test with? Even one that is too small for the system, since you won't be putting any major load on it during idle testing.
Please list the system specs, too.

satellizer

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018

Will take note of your advice, cheers! Also, any reason why this could be happening? It seems to be an unusual issue afaik, couldn't find much information anywhere. (PSU is RM750x)

Lastly, just to add side-info, this has been a thing for more than a month now, PC still runs absolutely fine (no lags etc).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Maybe metal cooling? Is the PSU hot to the touch? You may want to buy/borrow a stethoscope to listen where the sound might be coming from exactly. Might be something on the motherboard.
I picked up a cheap $25 stethoscope just to use for tracking down odd sounds in industrial equipment. Just remove the disc on the end and use it to pinpoint the noise.

satellizer

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018

Hmm, the thing is it doesn't always happen. Just randomly once in a while only when its off. It can happen after couple of hours too.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Next time you shut down and the noise begins, switch off the PSU at the back of the case and listen if the clicking noise continues or stops. Depending on how long the noise usually lasts, you may want to even press the start button immediately after turning off the PSU to drain any charge remaining. Trying to isolate if the noise is simply metal cooling or something electrical.

Might also want to check if you see any bloated capacitors on the motherboard.

Do you have another PSU available to test with? Even one that is too small for the system, since you won't be putting any major load on it during idle testing.
Please list the system specs, too.

Solution

satellizer

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
I got my psu (Evga 750 g3) today and replaced it. It didn't go well. Now I'm unable to boot the pc. None of the sata is getting detected. I tried all the troubleshoot, from redoing the cables, resetting bios, swapping back the PSU etc. Nothing worked.

Did the drivers get damaged somehow or is something up with my motheboard?

Specs:
1070 MSI 8 gigs
Asus prime z2750-p
i7-7700k 4.20 GHz
2x 8 gigs ddr4 3k MHz

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like more than software at issue. How far do you get after pushing the start button?

If nothing happens, I'd take the motherboard out of the case and breadboard it...
Set it on an insulated surface and connect just CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM (in whichever slot recommended in your manual for using a single stick), PSU, monitor (to on-board video), and keyboard. No drives, mouse, gfx card, etc.

Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the power button would connect to. See if it produces a display.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Something definitely happened to the SATA system, apparently. But what? Is this your motherboard?
Does the BIOS/UEFI show any SATA sections at all? SATA ports available, but lacking drives, maybe? What does the Boot Menu show? I'm trying to determine if the drive is at fault or the BIOS or the board itself.

satellizer

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
While in haste, I didn't change the power cables for my hard drive and 2x ssd. Ended up damaging it and they are now dead. This was confirmed when I was at the repair shop testing a different hard drive and testing mine on a different machine.

I'll be ordering new pairs of hard drives tomorrow and test run it with the new psu to see if the issue still persists. Cheers for all the responses!