Question clicking noise from GPU at high FPS

Oct 2, 2023
Hi

A few days ago I started hearing this clicking sound from my GPU, also I had severe screen flickering - both only occurred when computer was showing high FPS (above 60). There is no issues when just in desktop or if I am below 60FPS in a game. I first suspected that is was due to a faulty displayport cable, so went ahead and got a new high quality Delock displayport cable - this seems to have fixed the screen flickering, but I am still getting this strange clicking sound from my GPU.

Temperatures on the GPU are fine
It is certainly not the fans making this noise, I performed fan tests while computer is idle in desktop and no clicking sounds, also the clicking stops instantly when switching to desktop.
Since its clicking, I kind of also rule out coil whine (this is normally high pitched more or less constant noise)
I have checked the GPU power cables, they are properly connected, it uses 2x 6+2pin cables - had a spare one and tried with that + one of the other ones

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC
MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Monitor: Asus ROG PG279Q
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Cooler: Asus ROG Ryujin 360

clicking noise video:

fan test video:

Before going mental and spending thousands of euros on new hardware, I hope you guys have a suggestion!

Thanks a lot on advance!

Hi

A few days ago I started hearing this clicking sound from my GPU, also I had severe screen flickering - both only occurred when computer was showing high FPS (above 60). There is no issues when just in desktop or if I am below 60FPS in a game. I first suspected that is was due to a faulty displayport cable, so went ahead and got a new high quality Delock displayport cable - this seems to have fixed the screen flickering, but I am still getting this strange clicking sound from my GPU.

Temperatures on the GPU are fine
It is certainly not the fans making this noise, I performed fan tests while computer is idle in desktop and no clicking sounds, also the clicking stops instantly when switching to desktop.
Since its clicking, I kind of also rule out coil whine (this is normally high pitched more or less constant noise)
I have checked the GPU power cables, they are properly connected, it uses 2x 6+2pin cables - had a spare one and tried with that + one of the other ones

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC
MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Monitor: Asus ROG PG279Q
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Cooler: Asus ROG Ryujin 360

clicking noise video:

fan test video:

Before going mental and spending thousands of euros on new hardware, I hope you guys have a suggestion!

Thanks a lot on advance!
Honestly, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary except for the fans themselves spinning.

Oct 2, 2023
Honestly, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary except for the fans themselves spinning.
Yeah, the recording might not be the best, but I do hear it on there. I can try and rerecord this using a different device. But still, any ideas/advice is very welcome

It's not common but you might be hearing one of the bearings in the fans on either the GPU or even some other place moving around. It can be deceiving in making you think its coming from one location but is actually coming from somewhere else.

Oct 2, 2023
Well PSU blew up with a huge bang today, guess the problem revealed it self... hope it didn't fry connected hardware...