Clicking Noise in SEAGATE portable drive

DanReedRogers

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
G'day all,

I have recently just returned from a trip from France and I was doing a bit of filming over there with my drone, however I had my hard drive in my backpack which got transferred from hotel to hotel, My thought is that when they were throwing the bags around it would of knocked it.

Annoying thing is it has my drone footage on there which is quite valuable to me, just due to the fact I wont be going to France for a very long time.

When I plug my hard drive ( SEAGATE Backup Plus portable drive) into a computer, the computer recognizes that something has been plugged in with the small USB in the tray (Safely remove and eject media).

However it makes a quiet noise which can only be heard when held up to your ear, like something is trying to turn over, the noise happens continuously with a 1 second break.

When I go into my devices and printers, it is displayed there, but it isn't displayed in my disk management.

Is the hard drive gone? if so is there anyway I can get my data off there?

Have a listen to this:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0icxXHWYcmF

What do you think?
Last time I will buy a seagate...
I appreciate any responses
Cheers Dan

Solution
Another Seagate HDD bites the dust - - :pfff:

Tip: You need at least two copies of your data on two separate devices - - I always create four copies of mine, on four externals (3 x WD & 1 x Hitachi). Learned my lesson the hard way several years ago, I don't intend to lose any more valuable stuff.
if its making a clicking noice then it means the HDD got damaged. there are data recovery services out there that can put the drive into a clean room and reinstall the drive platters in another HDD and try to get the data off it but a service like that would be rather expensive

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
In addition to above answer: If there's any chance you'll go to a professional data recovery service with this, don't plug in your HDD again. Every time your damaged HDD tries to read the data, it might just further damage the drive continuously!

But data recovery services are rather expensive, as already noted, due to the extremely clean environment that needs to be provided for doing this.

Another Seagate HDD bites the dust - - :pfff:

Tip: You need at least two copies of your data on two separate devices - - I always create four copies of mine, on four externals (3 x WD & 1 x Hitachi). Learned my lesson the hard way several years ago, I don't intend to lose any more valuable stuff.

Solution

That's an internal one, they have a much better track record.

The OP's is an external one, much less reliable in my experience as I've often stated.

I was quite happy with Seagate drives until I started buying external ones, a whole different experience with those.
So I switched to WD - - glad to say that was a good decision.

Hi Dan,

sorry to hear you are having issues with your Seagate drive!
As always, vendor discussions do not solve the issue. Although our data show that -manufacturer independent- modern hard drives do not significantly differ in reliability, we are aware of perceived differences and are working hard to improve every new generation of our drives!

Hard drives are physical devices which unfortunately will fail at some point, so we cannot emphasize the backup recommendations in this thread enough. In your case it is unclear if the drive might still be within warranty, so we'd encourage you to do our WARRANTY VALIDATION CHECK and open a support request eventually. We will try everything we can to assist.