Clicking noise on booting up pc. Graphics card? PSU? Motherboard? Can't tell.

zCaptain

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
So... This is rather complicated: I bought a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, about 2 months ago (replaced the 660, and worked really well), and more recently I bought an internal sound card Asus Strix Soar PCI-E. I bought it because I could hear my mouse moving across the monitor, in my headphones. Did some research and figured the onboard sound was dying out.

So, installed the sound card, but I had to put it in a x16 PCI-E slot (below the PCI-E 3.0 that my gfx is working in) because my x1 (x4?) PCI-E slot is covered by a (huge) Thermalright cooler for the CPU.

And it all went well for 3 days... But I (being the dumbass I usually am) wasn't quite happy with the nice graphics and improved sound quality, went on CPU-Z and found out my 4 sticks of 4GB of RAM (advertised as1600MHz) was only working at 1333MHz.
So I went in the BIOS and set it to 1600MHz.

Rebooted, and heard a clicking noise from one of those components.
The sound card, didnt work after reboot (the bios didn't even detect it being plugged in)
I've since set the RAM back to 1333MHz, but the clicking sound remains.
Sound card works too, not sure if it was me pushing it further in PCI-E slot, or the 1600 to 1333 switch.

Nothing seems to be malfunctioning, after it boots and the clicking stops.

I appreciate the help. Sorry for the long post (it's my first time posting here)

motherboard: ASRock z77 pro4
processor: i5-3570 non K @3.4GHz
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200rpm
SSD Samsung Evo 850 250GB
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
16GB 1333MHz RAM - 2x4GB Corsair, 2x4GB G.Skill (1600MHz?)
PSU: Corsair CX600
Win 10 Pro

Solution

Nothing to be sorry about. I've had a few sound cards and and none of them clicked, now some of them clicked threw the speakers when the system was powering on which is normal.

Nothing to be sorry about. I've had a few sound cards and and none of them clicked, now some of them clicked threw the speakers when the system was powering on which is normal.

Solution