Question Clicking noise on my RTX 3070 Ventus 3x OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkee1991

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
Hi guys, so recently i got the new 3070 Ventus 3x OC. Anyways upon installation i was getting a clicking noise during my initial benchmark run on 3d Mark. I set the fans to full speed and the noise eventually disappeared so happy days.. until recently that is, i bought Resident Evil 3 and every now and then the card makes a clicking noise (not coil whine noise) Anybody had a similar issue?

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
It is a new card, so be warned that drivers can actually cause this issue of "noise" sometimes (make sure theyre up to date).

Also do a quick check and make sure there isnt anything small touching the card like a fan cable.

Then try reseating the card, and when its out of the case do a quick check to see if there is any debris or dust that has somehow got inside the fan causing a sound when on a lower speed than usual.

Lastly, sometimes the fans on those cards can have a defective bearing, causing a clicking sound when not under load (and sometimes when they are spinning faster). Give a light push on the each of the fans (after taking it out of the computer) to see if they somehow go back into place.

Sometimes, this can happen with defective cards (I know this is something you don't want to hear as the queue times for that card are INSANE)

Just make sure you check over everything before finally calling the company you bought it from.

Reactions: monkee1991

monkee1991

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
It is a new card, so be warned that drivers can actually cause this issue of "noise" sometimes (make sure theyre up to date).

Also do a quick check and make sure there isnt anything small touching the card like a fan cable.

Then try reseating the card, and when its out of the case do a quick check to see if there is any debris or dust that has somehow got inside the fan causing a sound when on a lower speed than usual.

Lastly, sometimes the fans on those cards can have a defective bearing, causing a clicking sound when not under load (and sometimes when they are spinning faster). Give a light push on the each of the fans (after taking it out of the computer) to see if they somehow go back into place.

Sometimes, this can happen with defective cards (I know this is something you don't want to hear as the queue times for that card are INSANE)

Just make sure you check over everything before finally calling the company you bought it from.

Thank you will try the steps you have listed and get back to you.

Reactions: DannyT_

monkee1991

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020

Ok so played 30 minutes of RE3 and fingers crossed not 1 bit of clicking. I took the card out gently pushed on the fans (although they all seemed fine) checked the card for any loose cables but everything seemed fine. Hopefully the problem is sorted but i'll keep this thread open for when i play some more RE3 to see if it happens again.

Many thanks

DannyT_

Honorable
Aug 10, 2017
Ok so played 30 minutes of RE3 and fingers crossed not 1 bit of clicking. I took the card out gently pushed on the fans (although they all seemed fine) checked the card for any loose cables but everything seemed fine. Hopefully the problem is sorted but i'll keep this thread open for when i play some more RE3 to see if it happens again.

Many thanks
Good to hear, wish you the best of luck. A push on the fans might have honestly fixed the issue, or even a quick reseat of the card could have helped. Its hard to narrow down an issue like that.
If the noise does come back after some time, try the same again. If that temporarily fixes it again, then it might actually be a defective card with a loose bearing. Just keep the manufacturer warranty in mind if that happens :)

Aug 20, 2020
Something similar happened to me. When I start up my pc it emits one clicking noise probably from the gpu, the 3060 Ti. Then the computer starts up normally but I want to know why this is happening

Status
Not open for further replies.